1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New here

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by flyaway320, Dec 29, 2005.

1. New to smoking. I bought a Brinkmann vertical smoker last year thinking it was a good buy. I havn't been able to get it hot enough. So I am looking for help with this smoker or advice on a new one. I am looking at buying a new braunfels type smoker, or buying a gas smoker by masterbuilt.
    I prefer smoking pork butts or loins.

2. Welcome Fly!! Let me tell you---I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I had one of those and It was a very poor design. I drilled some holes in the fire pan for air flow and put a piece of expanded metal in the bottom to raise the coals up a bit . This helped a little , but if there was any kind of wind or cold weather I was fighting a looseing battle. It now has a new home at the City Dump :)

Spice

3. willkat98

willkat98 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome Fly

Just to be clear, are we talking about a Brinkman bullet (which I think Spice is talking about) or is it the Smoke King Deluxe which has the firebox offset to a vertical chamber?

4. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Greetings Fly,
    Welcome to the forum. I can also feel your pain. Although my ECB produced fairly good results, I had to just about work myself to death to produce good Q. I actually got away from smoking for a number of years until I found this forum. I then move up to an off set horizontal smoker. And with the help of members of this forum, I've acutally produced some really good meat with a reasonable amount of labor. Good luck!!

5. Dutch

Dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Hi Flyaway, I have an ECB that works fine after some modifications. If you go with a different smoker, get one that is larger than you need. Once word gets out that the meat is in the smoker, strangers will show up for dinner too! :D

6. Thanks for the welcome. The exact smoker I currently have and am getting ready to trash is a Brinkmann Vertical Smoker. It has no adjustable airflow system at all and even during the hot summer I would have to pull the meat off, wrap in foil and finish cooking it on my gas grill. That was after 4 hours in the smoker!!!!
    I went today and put the Masterbuilt 7-n-1 gas/charcoal smoker on layaway. I am still torn between it( which has the convience of gas and ability to get and stay hot with little work), or a New Braunfels style smoker with the offset fire box( which I feel in love with while living in Texas.) I wish I would have just bought one of those there, before I moved up here to Omaha. I know the traditionalist would suggest the second smoker, but gas is pretty convienent.

7. Hi Flyaway and welcome to the forum. These folks here will get you gong in a hurry. they have helped me smoke up some pretty good grub.

Mike

8. jenn59

jenn59 Newbie

Hi my name is Jennifer I live in the mountains of North Carolina. I am a newbie to smoking.

9. [​IMG]   Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another wet and cold day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary