New here, driving a CharGriller 5050duo with SFB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jayd4wg

Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Pittsburgh PA
Howdy - new here and picking up a ton of advice already. I've never actually smoked food before outside of putting a foil pack of wet chips in my weber kettle and cooking indirectly. I recently bought a CharGriller 5050Duo with the SFB and I'm loving life so far. I really like having the ability to fire up the gas side to grill up some chicken breasts or burgers and dogs for a family get together, while at the same time charcoal grilling a mess of wings or smoking a pork shoulder.

I've seen a lot about modding these grills to get them a bit better. I just ordered some gasket tape and RTV, it arrived today and I'll be sealing up the SFB to the main body and applying the tape to the lids of both the grill and SFB. But with regard to changes inside the unit, yesterday I chanced upon an unnecessary mod to put a baffle in the bottom. I actually ran the smoker at 225-230 (in the photos below where we were pushing 264, was after some chips were added and the temp spiked for about 20 mins) for 8 hours with the charcoal pan inverted, and the left side raised up one notch above the SFB side. I have a 4 zone thermometer and monitored the meat with one, and placed a probe on both the left and right sides of the grill surface. All day, they were within a degree of each other. I smoked a Chuck Roast and it came out amazing. I still might do the baffle, but the cost of the steel and not being able to find any at a scrap yard is preventing this.

Last edited:
Got some goodies in from Amazon today... but first, here's some pics of the setup yesterday. the charcoal rack is inverted and the left side elevated one stop higher. temp probes on the grill surface and through the meat. This chuck roast spent about 8 hours total. 2 with smoke (apple chips) every 30 min or so, then into a bath of beef broth and onions. When it was done , i turned the broth into au jus.
This smoker leaks like a grumpy old steam engine though. I ordered some 3/8" rope for the main body lid, and 1/8"x1" tape for the SFB. I'll use whatever RTV i have left and a couple pieces of aluminum can to seal up any other holes in the grill body. Crossing my fingers that this works. Next, i'll be extending the chimney down to the grill surface.
Capture4.JPG

Capture4.JPG Capture3.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky