New hard Nitrided CI Pans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those are nice looking pans.
I checked out the TJMaxx site and they don't show them. :emoji_disappointed::emoji_disappointed:
So, they must be "in store only" items.

our local TJ didn’t have them....we found them in the next town TJ. They were in the discount section, normally 50 or so bills. So not surprising they don’t have them on line....that’s why I had the wife buy the lot!!! Lol. Might not be able to keep TP in the house but by dang I hoard pans!

Those look real nice Civil. That's a great deal you got.
I just got my first CI pan, 12" Lodge for a good price, $19 reg $35. Rinsed with water and thin coat of Veg oil. Do I need to do anything more before first use? It said pre seasoned.

Those look real nice Civil. That's a great deal you got.
I just got my first CI pan, 12" Lodge for a good price, $19 reg $35. Rinsed with water and thin coat of Veg oil. Do I need to do anything more before first use? It said pre seasoned.

Be warned CI pans are additive! Nothing to do just start using it. I have a SS mess rag that I clean mine with, I don’t use soap just hot water, then dry and wipe with oil (I use grape seed) and Then wipe it as dry as I can with paper towel then back on the heat till it starts to smoke the let it cool. This keeps the seasoning fresh

I looked at them this morning. They are really rounded almost like a wok. I have much cookware I ended up not getting. Now that I got home should of grabbed one just to try. May end up going back.

Be warned CI pans are additive! Nothing to do just start using it. I have a SS mess rag that I clean mine with, I don’t use soap just hot water, then dry and wipe with oil (I use grape seed) and Then wipe it as dry as I can with paper towel then back on the heat till it starts to smoke the let it cool. This keeps the seasoning fresh
OK, that also sound good and easy enough. And do this after every use? Thanks for this info.

Civil has you covered .
Cook up some bacon . Look at the Kent Rollins cast iron videos .
All I use any more is cast iron . I just got two from my Mom . Cast iron of my youth .
Followed Kent Rollins to re season . Like glass .
I'll check out the Kent Rollins videos. Thanks Chop.

Reactions: chopsaw
Things I know about cast iron i learned here . Look thru the cast iron forum .

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks, I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know there was a CI forum. And I'm sure I've probably commented on it over the years, lol.

Nice find on those pans. We don’t go out much, but wife was just in TJ the other day ... wish I knew/thought to have her check the kitchen area.

FWIW, I use flaxseed oil for seasoning, several very sparing applications. Pricey, but you don’t use much, and it bonds to the CI much better than veg oils. If done thoroughly and you don’t use detergents later, you don’t need to keep recoating after cleaning - I’ve heard you can run thru a dishwasher and it will still hold up and not get rust ... haven’t tried that myself. Just rub with Kosher salt and a quick rinse.

BTW, you’ll only do it once inside the house ... godawful acrid smoke

Reactions: MJB05615
our local TJ didn’t have them....we found them in the next town TJ. They were in the discount section, normally 50 or so bills. So not surprising they don’t have them on line....that’s why I had the wife buy the lot!!! Lol. Might not be able to keep TP in the house but by dang I hoard pans!

That explains!
I'll check my local TJ.
You don't need TP. Just eat more corn on the cob and save the cobs. :emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Nice find on those pans. We don’t go out much, but wife was just in TJ the other day ... wish I knew/thought to have her check the kitchen area.

FWIW, I use flaxseed oil for seasoning, several very sparing applications. Pricey, but you don’t use much, and it bonds to the CI much better than veg oils. If done thoroughly and you don’t use detergents later, you don’t need to keep recoating after cleaning - I’ve heard you can run thru a dishwasher and it will still hold up and not get rust ... haven’t tried that myself. Just rub with Kosher salt and a quick rinse.

BTW, you’ll only do it once inside the house ... godawful acrid smoke
I’ve used flaxseed oil in my CI pans and they get cooked outside in the pellet at 550 for two hours! I do the light season each time since I cook with lots of acidly food. It can be hard in the season. I haven’t used soap cleaning CI except for right before seasoning.

I have also used a blend of flax, grape, and canola, which makes a nice season as well. But recently I’ve gravitated to grape seed or canola (lodge pans are canola). I don’t cook with canola though.....not a fan of the flavor

Oh I should mention that I use the canola oil in my camp pan cause lodge has an air compressed can so it doesn’t leak all over the camp box.

well in my gramm's opinion a griddle with sides is no different than the metal that made it.. its just a same metal as a griddle only thinner. and cast is not even close to rolled n formed. it's why i like carbon knives or as what some call high stain n easy to sharpen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky