New hard Nitrided CI Pans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
its like cooking high acid veggies n fruit with CI , or not good, but ok with rolled n formed carbon or griddles. and flax seed oil is one of few that does not go rancid like some use. now if i'm way off base , tell me so.

now i use lots cast 'n formed ware. but i get my iron from food. so i do use lots CI porcelain coated. cause its so nice . and i'm old so its just easy. still do corn bread in my smooth as baby skin 12" pan from the old.

OK, that also sound good and easy enough. And do this after every use? Thanks for this info.

if I used it for something oily I just wipe it out when hot and bingo done. If something is acidly or sticky I wash it out and do the oil over the stove. As an FYI this comes from camp cooking, ie I wipe clean and hot oil clean.

the key is to make sure food doesn’t build up on it. I see lots of people that have burnt food on their CI and it caused a sticky mess.

just realize I’m not seasoning each time I’m just burning the oil so it holds and doesn’t go nasty between uses. When oil starts smoking it’s changing composition. That’s the process of seasoning, the oil is changed to a coating that is bonded to the metal almost microscopic. If there is too much oil when seasoning it burns and doesn’t season well. It takes less than a 1/8 of a tsp to season a 10 inch pan in side and out....but since yours is pre-seasoned you are golden. I got 4 pre-seasoned a couple of years ago and they are still going strong!
CC91A7D7-F0C2-4954-B303-F79E2C93D211.jpeg

Reactions: MJB05615
I see, almost like a skim coat. And not after every use. If it wipes clean while hot, with no food residue, that's it. If not, then wash with water, dry and very small amount of oil, heat and wait til dry and store. My wife is very picky, so if there was even 1 itty bitty amount of food build up, she'd probably hit me over the head with the CI pan, lol. Thanks, this makes good sense.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Civil, thanks for the like and the invaluable info, very much appreciated.

I'm keeping my eyes open for some of those too!
I suspect the average steel pan is formed and spun to final shape. If you start with a cast ingot, and that ingot is <2% carbon and over 98% iron, I suppose it's legal to call the finished product cast iron! The surface finish is what gives CI cookware much of it's attraction and this has it for sure.

I think for many CI detractors, the weight is what they really don't like. This is a great way to get the surface of an old-fashioned CI pan without the heft.

But then again, that heft does give some thermal stability that has its advantages too. But as more and more kitchens come with inductive stovetops, capable of excellent temperature stability, that advantage goes away. I'd say these are the pans of the future.

Local TJMaxx dont have them, Lady told me that not all the stores get the same thing....oh well

• Sad
Reactions: civilsmoker
Here's another option for carbon steel pans that turn black with seasoning. Plus it has a cool video for how various cookware gets stamped, rolled, and formed! Lodge has a "lightweight" carbon steel line too...and theirs come pre-seasoned.

These steel pans are probably more prone to warpage than thick CI if placed direct on red-hot coals but certainly fine for indoor use.

Couldn’t find one at ours, but had granddaughter and couldn’t really dig as you did ... I may give it another go ... the good carbon steel pans elsewhere are ^^$

I really liking these pans. Thought about going and getting more but than thought I never use more than 2 pans at at time. The old CI may go on shelf now.

I really liking these pans. Thought about going and getting more but than thought I never use more than 2 pans at at time. The old CI may go on shelf now.

I couldn't resist so I have 5, but 2 of those are going in the camp box. They heat better and more even than Ply SS and have a near non-stick surface and retain just enough heat to do carry over, but not too much it kills things....what's not to smile about! Glad I could share my addition.

Oh TJ's is a cool store for kitchen items and such. They actually have some top shelf items for good prices. I have scored many kitchen and bath items there.

Look what jumped in my cart at our local TJ Maxx yesterday. They did not have the 10" so got two 12" and one 8" cast iron was to cheap not to buy it
PW, have you had a chance to use yours? Just wondering what you thought of them?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky