New Guy from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

revbilly

Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Hi, I'm Billy from Central Texas known as revbilly or Brother Billy to a lot of my friends. I just retired in July after 40 years of active service in the United Methodist Ministry. Before that I farmed in Southern Missouri where I raised, cattle, hogs and domestic rabbits. I'm married with two sons and 3 grandsons. One on my boys owns his own tech company and the other is a professor at Colorado State University in Boulder.

I'm a Vet, a Coastie. I served for 4 years in the US Coast Guard in Hawaii, Japan and North Carolina. I grew up in St. Louis. One of my favorite cities is Memphis. So you can see I've experienced a lot of varied types of BBQ and Smoked meats.

I love game and used to hunt but gave it up because none of my family liked it, especially the wife. So now the only time I get dove or pheasant or venison and the like is when my friends take pity on me or I buy it for myself.

I've always like to BBQ and Grill but just recently purchased a Masterbuilt Smoker. Although the meat turned out good, I was frustrated because I couldn't control the temperature like I wanted. That's how I found this forum, I was looking for a solution and the forum has been a big help. I purchased the needle valve suggested and did my mod. I even bought the iron skillet for chips. Now I'm able to control the temp just right. Thanks to all who helped me solve that problem.

I've copied the recipes for smoked meatloaf and plan on trying that in the near future. I love to cook so, now that I'm retired, I get to do it often. My wife's loving it.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome aboard!

I too am in Texas. You'll find a LOT of great information here, and I assure you, by the time some of these folks finish with you, you'll have that smoker ginning along just fine!

I look forward to seeing some of your creations!

Welcome from SC, Billy. This is a great site with lots of folks who are always ready to share their ideas and tips. All you have to do is ask and keep on reading.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a hot day in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks for the welcome. Hey, I know Whitehouse, even been there a couple of times years ago when I served McCary's Chapel United Methodist Church in Liberty City just outside of Kilgore.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky