New GMG smoker, what's up with this cover??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BulldogsCadillac

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Manitoba Canada
Hey all, just picked up my first smoker and time to start learning the ropes! So just did the initial burn last night, let it cool, went and took my fancy new cover out of the package and thought "what the heck is this supposed to do???"
20190415_204152.jpg

Not sure WHY it wouldn't be longer to actually provide a bit of protection. It doesn't even have any way that you could strap it down that I can tell. Sent a picture to my dealer who is great and he said he would see if GMG make something else, but I don't see anything on their website. I just don't see how it won't blow off at the first hint of wind. So until I figure something out I threw my Broil King cover over it. Super excited about the grill, extremely disappointed about the cover. What have others done? I don't have a garage to put it in. Planning on building a shelter for it, but in the meantime I need some sort of protection.

Sent an email off to GMG, asked them the same questions, told them I didn't really want to cover my new GMG grill with a Traeger cover! Hopefully figure something out.
Derrick

Haha, it's pointless is what it is! I must say, GMG actually just got back to me, no real answer or solution, just said "Derrick, we understand the cover, it is designed for the coverage of the front shelf and side shelf of the new prime grills. Thank you for the feedback and we are taking this into consideration"
Okay....... So no answer on how to make it better.

Reactions: Hawging It
What a disappointment, Looks thinner than the one for my DC. The one I have is the best factory grill cover I've come across, very heavy duty and has velcro on the ends. Not one drop of moisture has penetrated in 2 years.
Sorry about the crappy cover.

You could take the cover to an upholstery shop and have them put grommets in it so you could run bungie underneath the smoke chamber to hold it on

derrik, don't concern yourself....it will do the job brother. legs can get all the weather ya can throw at it....it keeps the important stuff dry, controller, pellet hopper, inside grill drum....water don't run uphill... its all good ya good to go. peace, randy.

Thanks Randy, I know I'm being a little over protective, but I take great pride in everything I own and want to keep it as nice as possible, at least on the outside. I'm not really worried about the legs getting wet, but it would be nice to be able to leave some utensils or the bucket attached and have it actually be covered. Plus my biggest concern is water on the electronics if / when the cover blows off.

I must say GMG support has been quite quick at responding to my concerns / questions. I like that! I sent this to them

"Thanks for the reply, I will take some pictures when I get home. I understand that it is designed for the two shelves, but I'm just concerned about having a storm and it blowing off and my controller getting wet and malfunctioning and it being my fault because I bought a factory cover."

To which they replied,
"Derrick if that happens we will take care of you.

Thank you
GMG"

So I guess we'll maybe give it a go and see what happens!

I thought exactly the same thing when I put my cover on my Bowie Prime, a bit of wind and Off it goes. I find it crazy it doesn't have Velcro or something to attach the Flaps of the cover to.

Mine seems to sit a bit tighter than yours in the pic. When I pull it over the shelves it goes quite tight.

Strangely enough it hasn't blow off yet.

You could take the cover to an upholstery shop and have them put grommets in it so you could run bungie underneath the smoke chamber to hold it on

I think this is what I will do, thanks Brian.

Reactions: newbrian
I'm with Oklahoma Joe on this. Take it to an upholstery shop and have a "D" Ring attached at each of the 4 corners and 1 each front and back center. Then run a bungee cord from each "D" Ring straight down and hook to the bottom shelf. It will never blow off. And shame on GMG for the lack of insight into real world use. My CC cover hangs to within just a couple of inches from the ground. The GMG cover should also have been made to do that.

I picked up my JB Prime this weekend. 2.5 hour drive was unfortunately sold the cover for the non-prime. From what I've been reading they clearly didn't get the right measurements when they created the cover.

Well here's what I've done in the meantime, hoping to build a shelter for it this summer, see how the money tree blooms I guess!!

20190417_172533.jpg

I do still want a longer one so I can leave the grease bucket out and hang my grill brush and leave the aluminum foil out there. For now, it will work

Well here's what I've done in the meantime, hoping to build a shelter for it this summer, see how the money tree blooms I guess!!

View attachment 393544

I do still want a longer one so I can leave the grease bucket out and hang my grill brush and leave the aluminum foil out there. For now, it will work

That pic alone should be enough incentive for them to step up their game and do right by you and others who have purchased their product by giving those customers a decent cover.

You just may have given them the motivation they need to get on the ball. They ought to be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves.

Reactions: BulldogsCadillac
I must say GMG Support has been AWESOME to talk to!! Quick responses and I happened to just add a quick question and asked them about if there was a gasket that they recommended ( I had seen the post on here about some people using some Lava Lock seal and some other things) to help seal the lid better. The conversation was all about the cover length, and they quickly asked me to send them pictures of the gap from some different angles. Well , they sent back an email shortly after I sent them pics saying they were going to send me a new lid because it may give me troubles keeping a constant temp in the grill! I was impressed!! I wasn't even asking or really concerned too much with it as it didn't seem too bad to me, but they wanted to get it taken care of regardless!! Makes me feel better about the cover fiasco, and to be fair, I do believe they are working to rectify the cover perception. The material feels good, just needs some length. It may not be a $2000 grill, but nice to see them quick to stand behind the functionality of it!
Derrick

Thats funny, I said the same thing when I pull the cover out and put it on. "Where is there rest of it?" I also used two of those clamps for now. Funny we had the same idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky