New from Oregon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmcg

Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
My son and I built a UDS as something to do together this summer, so we are both are extremely new to smoking. But when looking for info on smoking I found this forum very informative and so it seemed like a great community to join.

edit: I thought it would be important to add that I plan to try to keep the temp at or as close to 250 degrees as I can, when the butts reach 165 wrap them in foil, and then cook till 195 before taking it off to rest.

Last edited:
My son and I built a UDS as something to do together this summer, so we are both are extremely new to smoking. But when looking for info on smoking I found this forum very informative and so it seemed like a great community to join.

edit: I thought it would be important to add that I plan to try to keep the temp at or as close to 250 degrees as I can, when the butts reach 165 wrap them in foil, and then cook till 195 before taking it off to rest.

Welcome to SMF!!
Wrapping at 165 is usually when I wrap. On butts I usually cook till I get good bone wiggle which is usually around 205.. Probe tender works too.

Hope you and your son enjoy your smoke!!

dang looks like i cut out part of my post when I did the edit :(

when should i start cooking them to have them be done by 6pm

1. one thing I read was 1.5 -2 hrs per lb making it 32-42 hr cook (regardless if two different pieces of meat)

2. another was 1.5 - 2 hr per lb for the biggest butt and 30 mins per lb for the additional butt 42-53 hrs

3. and the third was 1.5-2 hrs for the biggest butt and the other will cook same time but just take longer for uds temp to get back 250 when lid is removed.

which one is correct?

Last edited:

dang looks like i cut out part of my post when I did the edit :(

when should i start cooking them to have them be done by 6pm

1. one thing I read was 1.5 -2 hrs per lb making it 32-42 hr cook (regardless if two different pieces of meat)

2. another was 1.5 - 2 hr per lb for the biggest butt and 30 mins per lb for the additional butt 42-53 hrs

3. and the third was 1.5-2 hrs for the biggest butt and the other will cook same time but just take longer for uds temp to get back 250 when lid is removed.

which one is correct? #3 is the correct answer.

Al

Welcome from another Oregonian!

I have been running my smokers, UDS included at higher temps when smoking butts. 285-325. Get the same great product in less time. I don't wrap my butts when I smoke them.

Once you figure out your UDS it will be rock solid. Don't over shoot your target pit temp too much, and make small adjustments with your intake vents. Leave your exhaust open full all the time when smoking.

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another sunny and hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

:welcome1:
The additional time to take the second butt normally has to do with the mass of the first absorbing the heat in vertical smokers or being closer to the heat source for horizontal smokers without tuning plates or reverse flow. Essentially the butts are getting cooked at two different temps.

Remember 1.5-2 is only an estimate and the really get done whenever they feel like it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky