NEW FROM NORTH TEXAS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Welcome to the forum glad you to have ya join. What type of smoker do you have or are looking to get?

Chris

Welcome to the forum glad you to have ya join. What type of smoker do you have or are looking to get?

Chris

Got an old country Pecos smoker from Academy. I think that's the name of it. I thought it would be a decent starter for me. Only thing I've ever smoked was a cigarette so I'm giving this a whirl since I'm almost 30 and need to start bringing something to the table for family get togethers haha.

Ok I'm not so familiar with the OCP, but it looks like a nice rig. Are you planning on using strictly wood or a combo of wood and charcoal? I would suggest you fire it up and season it. Find out where it leaks and where the hot spots are(if there are any). I started out with a char-griller duo that was inexpensive, but after learning it's quirks I managed to put out some pretty decent Q. Someone here that uses your grill will chime in with first hand knowledge and help you out. The more information you can provide the better the answers will be. If someone doesn't offer any help in the next day or so try the search function. You'd be amazed at what turns up.

Chris

Ok I'm not so familiar with the OCP, but it looks like a nice rig. Are you planning on using strictly wood or a combo of wood and charcoal? I would suggest you fire it up and season it. Find out where it leaks and where the hot spots are(if there are any). I started out with a char-griller duo that was inexpensive, but after learning it's quirks I managed to put out some pretty decent Q. Someone here that uses your grill will chime in with first hand knowledge and help you out. The more information you can provide the better the answers will be. If someone doesn't offer any help in the next day or so try the search function. You'd be amazed at what turns up.

Chris

Strictly wood only. I will be seasoning it and looking for leaks. I assume just using that grill tape will be fine, right.

Should be, high temp food safe RTV sealer or oven door gasket will also work. There are a few different options out there. I would go with what's available to you. Let us know how it goes, and before applying make sure the surfaces are extremely clean.

Chris

Should be, high temp food safe RTV sealer or oven door gasket will also work. There are a few different options out there. I would go with what's available to you. Let us know how it goes, and before applying make sure the surfaces are extremely clean.

Chris

Sounds good to me. Will do! Thanks

You are in the right place Kevin. These folks are most helpful. I have been smoking meat for decades and learn something every time I come on here. The OCP is pretty solid for the money. There are youtube videos that show mods for it. Best of luck to ya.

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky