New Forum Member and question about pork shoulders (smoker shut off for a couple hours late in the c

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgerding

Original poster
Oct 22, 2016
Hello everyone, 

Just joined up with SMF today, hoping for some advice about a situation I have with a pork shoulder - but first, a bit about myself:

I'm Jeff, I live in Calgary Alberta Canada

I use a Bradley Digital electric smoker, and have been using it for a few years.   So far I've done pork shoulders, brisket, chicken thighs, chicken breasts, burgers, salmon, and pork ribs.   

I'd say my skill level is "medium", but the Bradley makes things pretty easy with the temp control.

But I do need some advice....  

I put shoulders in last night at 8pm at 210F, and they smoked until 5:30 this morning.  

I forgot to reset the timer before bed (only goes for 10 hours).

Before I went to bed at about 1:30, the internal temp was  in the mid-high 140s, and then it would've smoked for another 4 hours approximately.    

At 8am, the internal temp was down to 90F with the smoker at 55 (the ambient temp was around 32F)... At that point I turned the smoker back on to 250F this time, and within a couple of hours the shoulders are at 150F+ again.

Obviously I don't want to make anyone sick - and the other threads I've read with a situation similar to this all had much longer "off" times much earlier on in the process.   I don't know what temp the pork reached before the smoker shut off, but being at around 148 at 1:30 and then running for around 4 more hours, I'm sure it would've gotten past 160/165.    And since it was only off for around 2.5 hours, I can't see anything terrible happening but I'm pretty paranoid about food safety.

Thanks for any input!

Jeff

Hello Jeff, welcome to you.

I'd finish it and eat it and enjoy.

Doesn't sound to me like you got into any major problems.

Pictures of your smokes are good things.

Ed

Thanks guys for the input.    It turned out great.

I'm working on creating an album of my creations, I will post it up here when it's ready!

Cheers

Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky