New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey all,

Just bought one of these off of Amazon, I wanted to try vertical as opposed to another horizontal smoker. For the money, this thing is really NOT all that bad.

I'll get back with some unboxing pics and the initial mods I did as I've been putting it together.

Jerry

Edited title to make search easier.
I have the Brinkmann Trailmaster vertical which is exactly like what you have. I have found that I had to add the extra latches for the door because when the heat gets too hot it expands the cook chamber in the door always popped open. I have photos the difference between the Dyna-Glo in the Brinkmann is the metal I believe.

Attachments

• 20191227_130559.jpg
    20191227_130559.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 181
  • RDT_20191227_1854103058182944263440630.jpg
    RDT_20191227_1854103058182944263440630.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 192
I have noticed a few people have painted the SC door and handles and I'm wondering how that has held up? I don't want to paint the fire box just the smoke box door and some of the accessories and planned to use high heat engine enamel, anyone else tried this or have any tips?

Reactions: RyanMoore
I have noticed a few people have painted the SC door and handles and I'm wondering how that has held up? I don't want to paint the fire box just the smoke box door and some of the accessories and planned to use high heat engine enamel, anyone else tried this or have any tips?
My old vertical Trailmaster above was completely Rusty in the Firebox area. I will try to post a picture of it if I can find it before, I took a wire wheel grinder to it and stripped it down to bare metal. Then I replaced all the screws and bolts to the whole thing with stainless steel. You have to get lacquer thinner to strip it down of any residue in oil or Grease. That process will take three or four good cleanings. Wipe it once let it dry, wipe it again later let it dry once more. That may be enough, if you do not do this any product that you put on there Will Fail. High heat engine enamel from what I understand takes a process to bake it at a certain temperature to make it cure? I am not sure, I have the link of the product that I bought. You're interested message me. I love to cook meat but I am also a project manager of a product applique Ting company of different types of enamels and epoxies on structural and Commercial surfaces. I use the same process we would have to use at work on my smoker to make it last. If you do not make sure you get all residue off before you paint it will just ruin it once you make a fire. We are in the process right now of making our own fire dial for the inside that fits in place of the water pan I will post pictures of that also. The regular fire dial does not come in this particular size for my shelves which is 17 in. We have started custom making our own part because some of the things that we need no longer are available. Like happy cooker internal Ash pans, doing that at the moment. Making our own happy cooker bottom vent covers which are smaller than Weber. So far everything is turning out pretty awesome

I was looking for an affordable smoker and after alot of reading and research I settled on the Dyna-Glo Widebody vertical offset.
Got it in Monday and assembled and proceeded with my mods, to this point I have added temp gauges, Red RTV'd all seams, fabricated and mounted baffle from FB, added fire bricks for thermal mass, as well as 16ga steel channels in bottom of Smoke box, used steel I had to regulate smoke and temp in smoke box, waiting on my exhaust stack to get here to replace the stock one, also have a 6" pin wheel vent on it's way (contemplating replacing the firebox inlet).
Planning on seasoning it this weekend.

Attachments

• 20200303_103712.jpg
    20200303_103712.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200304_105833.jpg
    20200304_105833.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200305_105753.jpg
    20200305_105753.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200305_110423.jpg
    20200305_110423.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200305_110638.jpg
    20200305_110638.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200305_111229.jpg
    20200305_111229.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 212
Reactions: mtnwinds
Just got one of these wide body smokers myself, finally got the time to put it together, did the red RTV sealant, but have not gotten to any other mods yet. Cannot wait to get it fired up and show some Qvue :)

I have been wanting to try and smoke for a few years. Found this thread and thought, as I will be home a bunch over the next month, now is a good a time as any.

One modification question I had already was the top exhaust. Does it need to be changed to a larger one? Has anyone had reasonable success with the stock one?

I have RTV to seal the firebox and smoke section together, and a roll of nomex gasket material for the doors. I am currently looking for sheet metal to make the heat deflector for the inside of the smoke chamber.

I was looking for an affordable smoker and after alot of reading and research I settled on the Dyna-Glo Widebody vertical offset.
Got it in Monday and assembled and proceeded with my mods, to this point I have added temp gauges, Red RTV'd all seams, fabricated and mounted baffle from FB, added fire bricks for thermal mass, as well as 16ga steel channels in bottom of Smoke box, used steel I had to regulate smoke and temp in smoke box, waiting on my exhaust stack to get here to replace the stock one, also have a 6" pin wheel vent on it's way (contemplating replacing the firebox inlet).
Planning on seasoning it this weekend.

You went crazy and I love it.

So I got the smoker seasoned yesterday. first cook today. Tried for pulled pork, ended up with sliced pork roast. Still tasted good. IT only got up to 183, so I wansn't overly surprised it wouldn't "pull" from what I had read. Learned a few things. Definetly need to learn how to keep the fire going more consistently. I am going to look into seeing if I can make dividers for the fire box so the coals burn better. Found one small leak where the handle comes through the front door. Not sure that can be sealed up. Also some smoke came out the bottom of the door once or twice, but I wasn't concerned about that, as the grease trap hole lets smoke out as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3619.jpg
    IMG_3619.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3621.jpg
    IMG_3621.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 210
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I really want to contribute to this threads that helps me a ton to set up my Dyna Glo vertical.

Just a quick tip for the people having trouble keeping a stable tempin this smoker. I had a little frustration with this also so I decided to experiment with a fan from ThermoWorks that connects to their Signals thermometer. I was skeptical as my assumption was that this things only works for Kamados or high quality / high insulation smokers.

I was very surprise that this thing held the temp constant with a 3 degree difference.
I did a brisket to try this out and came out excellent.
Attached some pics if you’re curious about the set up, not the prettiest one because I cover the vents with foil, but really works.

Happy smokes for everyone this weekend from Mexico City!
Mau

Attachments

• D70E50BE-3582-4F7F-84A7-D86B7C676B23.jpeg
    D70E50BE-3582-4F7F-84A7-D86B7C676B23.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 210
  • F838BC96-404A-4BBB-B8DA-52F1A3E31BE1.jpeg
    F838BC96-404A-4BBB-B8DA-52F1A3E31BE1.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 205
Very nice! Did it make a noticeable difference in your wood/charcoal useage? So that is now the only airflow into the fire chamber?

Very nice! Did it make a noticeable difference in your wood/charcoal useage? So that is now the only airflow into the fire chamber?
Yes! I saw an improvement of an extra hour on a “regular” packed coal box with briquettes from 3 hours to 4 hours at 240F. I’m in Mexico City and altitude is crazy high so I think is not very efficient for combustion, for sure you can get better results at more sea level altitudes places.

So, i have fully insulated my dyna-glow and have noticed that if I put more than half a basket full of charcoal it will skyrocket in temp. If I put that much I only get 2ish hours out of it. Am I doing something wrong?

So, i have fully insulated my dyna-glow and have noticed that if I put more than half a basket full of charcoal it will skyrocket in temp. If I put that much I only get 2ish hours out of it. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey man, from my experience so far, the exhaust hole inst big enough. I made mine large so now I can control the heat and flow much better I can run at 200 or 400 depending how much charcoal and or wood I use.

Hey man, from my experience so far, the exhaust hole inst big enough. I made mine large so now I can control the heat and flow much better I can run at 200 or 400 depending how much charcoal and or wood I use.
So the exhaust hole controls the burn rate as well? I typically run very small amounts of coal and wood in there then keep the vents open minimally to keep the temp down and hope it is making the coals last longer, am I doing this incorrectly?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky