New Chicken Coop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Its just a chicken coop, not the Taj Mahal...Lol

Should keep the critters at bay and the girls dry.
I have some extra corrugated sitting on top of the metal roof as I need to seal a few nail holes.
IMG_3834.JPG

Have windows on one side and the back.
IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG

Still working on the coop. Need to pus some wire cloth over the inside of the windows, they do adjust. Put some roost bars in, water and feed tubes. I have a 12x20x6.5' covered run thats going in the back of coop, need to put a sliding door at the back for the run so I can close em up at night.

Inside so far. (thats the underside liner of my straw hat you see with the shark teeth)
IMG_3833.JPG

Good to take care of the ladies. Are you building or buying nesting boxes?

Good to take care of the ladies. Are you building or buying nesting boxes?
I have them from my other coop at daughters. Thats where my chix are now, soon to be relocated.

Reactions: chp
Nice is it big enough for all your birds?

We assembled the run today. Have to get a hole cut for a door, Looking at an automatic door, I found one that is solar powered and has a timer.

Need to critter proof it up some too. So far only critter I have seen is racoon but im sure we have foxes and skunks too. I have a solar powered outdoor cam going up too.

IMG_3856.JPG

Too bad you have to keep the girls confined.
I was cultivating the weeds between fields (boomer size) and stopped at the house next to a field. Needed to remove a few shanks to fit in the gap. I chased the hens and rooster out of the beets as they were chasing down bugs.
Know the owner and asked if he sold eggs. Well, he gave me an 18 load of dirty eggs. Wife is happy to get fresh again.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Too bad you have to keep the girls confined.
I was cultivating the weeds between fields (boomer size) and stopped at the house next to a field. Needed to remove a few shanks to fit in the gap. I chased the hens and rooster out of the beets as they were chasing down bugs.
Know the owner and asked if he sold eggs. Well, he gave me an 18 load of dirty eggs. Wife is happy to get fresh again.
Yeah my eggs have been pretty dirty with mud since the shingles have blown off last storm. Most folks dont mind washing but I tell them I can wash if they want. We had a hen get loose and she is happy living with the goats so I'm just going to leave her there.

We have a small version of your setup and once the ladies have finished laying in the morning, they get out to free range.
3CFBB511-A225-46AA-B11A-AAFBD274ADAC.jpeg

They stay pretty close, then back into the run late afternoon.
9643CFD1-9F6C-45FD-B9D1-D96BA73DC66B.jpeg

Thats cool.

I really cant let ours out free, we have hawks that will get em.

So much rain we been getting its crazy, almost like S,FL again. Keeping us from finishing the coop and run (well its more the lightning)

I told the girls last week they were moving to a large run.
Yesterday when I went to feed and gather eggs I got these

Happy girls.
IMG_3868.JPG

Red tailed hawks follow me around when I do the field edge mowing or cultivating for the mice and voles that get kicked up.
Sugar beet leaves are tall enough to shield the yard birds from the other birds.
And I found a groundhog out back. Time to break out the Gamo.
I used to grind groundhog when we lived up in Pa.

We have lost a few ladies to predators, but we are fortunate not to have the hawks you do. Coyotes are the biggest issue for us and if our dogs are out, they tend to stay away.

My wife told me this morning that she seen a coyote in the field next door this morning. I gotta get the cameras up and running.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky