New member, electric smoker questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjowsey69

Original poster
Oct 23, 2023
Hey All

Brand New member. Have a few questions I was hoping I could get some opinions on.

Purchased a masterbuilt electric smoker and so far I've been thrilled with it. We've done chicken wings, bacon, salmon and most recently a pork butt. All turned out great. I had some specific questions about electric smokers that I was hoping to get some insight on.

With the weather getting colder up near me, I'm finding that I need to close my damper in order to keep temperature, at least to get temperature up quickly and keep it there. How bad a practice is this? Also noticing that the steam and condensation inside is not draining out the back but out the front, could this be a result of keeping my damper closed and just too much condensation to handle? I've got a ton more questions, but I'll keep it to these ones for now.

Looking forward to communicating with and learning from everyone. We've been thrilled with our adventures in smoking up until this point.

Thanks,
Jim

Howdy Jim, and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.
Can't help you on electric smoker questions, but someone will chime in.

Welcome to the addiction! Is the smoker sitting level? There is no "bad "practices if you're getting TBS. The variables change with temp/humidity/elevation, etc. etc. Masterbuilt smokers have none. Or little insulation to keep even temp. I bought a cheap harbor freight welding blanket to insulate the smoker. Do a search for that mod. Keeping the smoker out of the wind in cold weather helps as well. Smoke on!

Welcome from Hawaii! Never had an electric smoker so no help here but Im sure others will have good info.

Reactions: jjowsey69
Like Steve H Steve H said, little insulation in the MES smokers. I wrapped mine in reflectix wrap and then a Harbor Freight welding blanket. Use it this way yr round . Kinda want to keep the damper open fully to avoid stale smoke. Would "highly" suggest using a digital thermometer inside to verify your cooking temps. The Master built s are notorious for being inaccurate. Lots of other info on the MES in search form. Congratulations !

Like Steve H asked, "Is your smoker level". Mine had adjustable feet so I could tip mine to the back so it would drain properly,

Like Steve H Steve H said, little insulation in the MES smokers. I wrapped mine in reflectix wrap and then a Harbor Freight welding blanket. Use it this way yr round . Kinda want to keep the damper open fully to avoid stale smoke. Would "highly" suggest using a digital thermometer inside to verify your cooking temps. The Master built s are notorious for being inaccurate. Lots of other info on the MES in search form. Congratulations !
Currently using a digital thermometer with two probes, one for the temperature inside and one for the meat.

Hey All

Brand New member. Have a few questions I was hoping I could get some opinions on.

Purchased a masterbuilt electric smoker and so far I've been thrilled with it. We've done chicken wings, bacon, salmon and most recently a pork butt. All turned out great. I had some specific questions about electric smokers that I was hoping to get some insight on.

With the weather getting colder up near me, I'm finding that I need to close my damper in order to keep temperature, at least to get temperature up quickly and keep it there. How bad a practice is this? Also noticing that the steam and condensation inside is not draining out the back but out the front, could this be a result of keeping my damper closed and just too much condensation to handle? I've got a ton more questions, but I'll keep it to these ones for now.

Looking forward to communicating with and learning from everyone. We've been thrilled with our adventures in smoking up until this point.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim, welcome to the forum.

Brad

Is your MB analog or digital?

The digital models are actually well insulated. These models can and do hold quite a bit of moisture especially with large amounts of meat in it also using the water pan can turn the inside into a absolute mess most just line it with foil and use it as a drip pan.Closing the top vent will certainly help keep it inside and will also hold the smoke in making it stale. Rule of thumb is to keep it wide open. Also if you have the glass door condensation will build up on it,but making sure your unit is level as Steve H Steve H suggested would be something to check first.In truly cold weather these will still struggle so as suggested above a welding blanket can be a great help.

Is your MB analog or digital?

The digital models are actually well insulated. These models can and do hold quite a bit of moisture especially with large amounts of meat in it also using the water pan can turn the inside into a absolute mess most just line it with foil and use it as a drip pan.Closing the top vent will certainly help keep it inside and will also hold the smoke in making it stale. Rule of thumb is to keep it wide open. Also if you have the glass door condensation will build up on it,but making sure your unit is level as Steve H Steve H suggested would be something to check first.In truly cold weather these will still struggle so as suggested above a welding blanket can be a great help.
It's a digital model. Glad what I'm experiencing isn't uncommon. Level or if anything slightly tipped backwards? Definitely going to invest in the welding blanket as I plan on smoking my way through a Western New York winter.

It's a digital model. Glad what I'm experiencing isn't uncommon. Level or if anything slightly tipped backwards? Definitely going to invest in the welding blanket as I plan on smoking my way through a Western New York winter.
I'd make sure it's just level as Steve suggested.

The welding blanket is a big plus in truly cold weather. All I use are a couple of bungee cords to keep wrapped and in place.

And when the time comes there are some simple mods that will turn your MES into a much more user friendly smoker. When you're ready just ask!

I'm in the finger lakes. You can tip back if you wish. Level should be fine.

Well, it happened. The controller done died. It started acting funny and wouldn't set temp or time. I disconnected and opened it up to find it full of condensation, no doubt from me keeping my damper closed. Took it all apart and dried it out in the hopes I could get it to work, have a spatchcock chicken in the fridge, but nope, she fried.

Have a new replacement controller coming tomorrow but it looks like I'll be looking into switching over to one of those PID controllers sooner rather than later. Wish me luck.

Well, it happened. The controller done died. It started acting funny and wouldn't set temp or time. I disconnected and opened it up to find it full of condensation, no doubt from me keeping my damper closed. Took it all apart and dried it out in the hopes I could get it to work, have a spatchcock chicken in the fridge, but nope, she fried.

Have a new replacement controller coming tomorrow but it looks like I'll be looking into switching over to one of those PID controllers sooner rather than later. Wish me luck.
I disconnect the pin connectors and bring it inside while it's still warm. I don't permanently mount it on the Mes 30 and keep it away from the exhaust vent. There's a hole on the bottom of the controller you can see the board and humidity will get in there and condense when it cools after the smoker cools. I bring in the PID every time after using it with the Mes 40. I have three stock MB controllers that are compatible for the Mes 30 and 40. Two were sent free from MB. There's no conformal coating covering the board or components on it same with the PID. Dust/water if not totally destroying the board will corrode and short traces. The one I use for the Mes 30 currently is great but the rf remote no longer pairs and tested it with the other two. One spare shuts off the smoker if you press the meat probe temp button and the other shuts off the smoker if you press the light button. Plus the membrane switches delaminate in the sun, heat and humidity so in the house it is stored. My Mes 30 does really well with the stock controllers with low temp swings and gets up to 265 so I'll burn them out before needing to rewire and bring out the PID.

Hey All

Thanks,
Jim
Welcome to the forum from Tampa.

I have no idea on electric smokers, sorry man.

Brad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky