New Chainsaw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
It is on topic, guys. I got tired of the gas Echo saw I've had for a number of years. Main use was cutting up logs for my stick burner and occasional use for upstart trees. It got to where I didn't know if it would start from week to week, and day to day. I'd throw my back out at least once a year trying to start the thing. Last week, I stepped over to the dark side and went cordless electric. Yep, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" chainsaw. Mr. Fedex delivered it yesterday. After charging the 12v battery, I tried it out on some firewood that needed cutting down to size. Wow, is all I can say. Instant on, instant off, no having it idle while dancing on the ground. Went through 2" logs like a hot knife through melted butter. Fairly high priced to do the change, but for me it's less headache making sure I've got 2 cycle fuel/oil mix or enough TruFuel and the sometimes back problem
If anyone is considering going electric, this thing is highly recommended

They absolutely have their place.I have a Ryobi 40v 14" that I use more often than my my gas saws around here.For felling and bucking of larger trees to fuel the wood stove,the gas saws are still the go to.

We had a contractor cut down some trees for us, they had an electric Huskqvarna working out of a man basket. What a slick unit. Light enough that he was able to use one hand and toss down the chunks of tree with the other. Congratulations on your purchase.

Hi Rexster!!
I wish they would have had those 10 years ago, when I was Chainsaw carving bears!!
A Bear from Log to Finish

At that time there was a guy experimenting with a Hydraulic powered Chinsaw, and they had electric saws that you had to drag a cord around with, but nothing like the Battery operated ones of today.
I guess they don't have any yet that will support a 1/4" chain on a Dime or Quarter Tip carving bar?

Bear

I guess they don't have any yet that will support a 1/4" chain on a Dime or Quarter Tip carving bar?
Stihl's 140 comes with a 1/4" chain and supports their carving bars,though carvers complain the electrics don't have the chain speed of the gas saws.

I have two electric chain saws. one 16" and one 8" on a 9 ft pole. both plug in. both blow my mind at how good they work. got both for about $70 ish each. WAY better than the POS home depot rentals i was getting every few years.

I've had my eye on the Milwaukee chainsaw, it's good to hear your opinion on it. I borrow a gas one when needed but my biggest worry about buying one was having it sit for along time with the gas in it.

Maybe the Milwaukee one will go on sale for the holidays.

Bear Jr has the "EGO" Chainsaw, Snowblower, Mower, Blower, and Weedeater/Edger, and he Loves them all.

Bear

I've had my eye on the Milwaukee chainsaw, it's good to hear your opinion on it. I borrow a gas one when needed but my biggest worry about buying one was having it sit for along time with the gas in it.

Maybe the Milwaukee one will go on sale for the holidays.
I went with corded for the same reason I didn't want gas. I need the chain saw when I need it, but sitting around endlessly on a rechargeable battery seems like it will lose it capacity.

I do like the cordless idea, but corded will run immediately and forever anytime i need it.

I went with corded for the same reason I didn't want gas. I need the chain saw when I need it, but sitting around endlessly on a rechargeable battery seems like it will lose it capacity.

I do like the cordless idea, but corded will run immediately and forever anytime i need it.

I have a few Milwaukee tools on the m18 platform and the batteries are interchangeable so that battery can be shared with tools that get more use.

Most cordless tool makers today have you buy into their battery system, it becomes easier to stick to one brand because of the shared batteries, instead of having multiple brands with different batteries and a gazillion chargers.

Also, you could buy a tool only option that is cheaper than buying tool+ battery+charger.

I have a few Milwaukee tools on the m18 platform and the batteries are interchangeable so that battery can be shared with tools that get more use.

Most cordless tool makers today have you buy into their battery system, it becomes easier to stick to one brand because of the shared batteries, instead of having multiple brands with different batteries and a gazillion chargers.

Also, you could buy a tool only option that is cheaper than buying tool+ battery+charger.

Yeah---Worx screwed Me:
I started with their 32V.
Got the Wacker-Edger, Blower, Hedge Trimmer---All 32V.
Got 4 chargers & 4 batteries.

Then they decided to discontinue the 32V, and make their 20V the one to cover ALL of the tools!!!

Bear

makes sense, but the only rechargeable power tool i have is a drill. When i need to replace something more, its worth considering a brand with a battery system.

makes sense, but the only rechargeable power tool i have is a drill. When i need to replace something more, its worth considering a brand with a battery system.

These new "Lithium Ion" Batteries are Super!!
And they don't start dying as soon as you start using them.
They work full power until---All of a Sudden it stops.
Change battery & off you go.
And they last a looooong time!

Bear

These new "Lithium Ion" Batteries are Super!!
And they don't start dying as soon as you start using them.
They work full power until---All of a Sudden it stops.
Change battery & off you go.
And they last a looooong time!

Yup , that and the tools are going brush less also makes for long run times . Look at the amp hours on the battery . That number is how long it should run under load . I have all Makita Drills and impact drivers , and was looking at getting the blower . Their stuff is set up to use the same batteries as the hand tools . So the lawn equipment takes 2 of the 18v batteries from the hand tools .

Yup , that and the tools are going brush less also makes for long run times . Look at the amp hours on the battery . That number is how long it should run under load . I have all Makita Drills and impact drivers , and was looking at getting the blower . Their stuff is set up to use the same batteries as the hand tools . So the lawn equipment takes 2 of the 18v batteries from the hand tools .

Yeah, We bought the Snowblower for Bear Jr's wife, so she can do the sidewalks & Deck, while he's plowing everything. It can run on less, but you can put 2 batteries in at once, for a total of 112 Amp hours. And he can use the same batteries for his mower & everything else.
Hard to believe how powerful that Snowblower is!!

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah, We bought the Snowblower for Bear Jr's wife, so she can do the sidewalks & Deck, while he's plowing everything. It can run on less, but you can put 2 batteries in at once, for a total of 112 Amp hours. And he can use the same batteries for his mower & everything else.
Hard to believe how powerful that Snowblower is!!

Bear

OOOOPS---Sorry I screwed that up (above):
Those 2 batteries are 56V each, but they are each 7.5 Amp Hours.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah I knew that was a typo or something . I would think the run time would be 7.5 hours . That's a long time .

I have a few acres, and when we moved in we had over 110 trees. now down to about 70. The small trees are 60ft tall, and the larger ones over 100ft and 3 ft in diameter. I have been trying to get the acreage groomed; between the chain saw, backpack blower, weed wacker, hedge trimmer,.... I live with 2 stroke gas mix.

There have been times when and light weight electric chain saw would have been nice for trimming.

If I was wanting 1 just to saw up small stuff a electric would work very well and run vegetable oil in it instead of bar oil, I bought a cheap weedeater that's battery powered and for the weekly trim it lasts the whole time. If I need a lot or big weed eating there's no replacement for a gas burner.Will keep my 2 stroke with stay-bil in it for the rough jobs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky