New build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I'm looking at building a new smoker/smoke house in the spring and am looking for ideas. I currently have an small old woodstove that I have piped into a tin 30"x30"x40" "smoke house". The woodstove has seen better days and I am looking at building something more permanent. I was thinking of cinder blocks for the lower portion and cedar for the top portion. I'm kind of leaning towards using the burner from my turkey fryer as I think I will be able to control the temperature better than with a wood fire. Has anyone done anything similar to this? How large of a box with the burner from a turkey fryer heat and how long will a 20lb bottle last?

My friends have a smoke house like this. It is 36"sq. The cinder block base is 30" tall, and the wood portion on top is 6' tall. They use a propane burner when they are hot smoking.

This is the burner they have mounted in the smoker. Note that they have it hard plumbed so that there are no hoses in the smokehouse itself.

Can't give you a fuel consumption estimate on theirs. I know that my propane smoker will go for quite a while (multiple 18-24 hour smokes) when running low temps (under 285°).

I should mention that they have a 1'x1' metal door in the cmu, for adding wood if they are using that for smoke. Most of the time they just use pellets in an AmazeN tube smoker anymore.

I use this burner in my36"x36"x8'. Put 1/4" steel plate over and put wet saw dust on top. Smoker mainly used for smoking ring and summer sausage. Not sure on fuel consumption. Temps usually 140° - 180°
20181108_132429.jpg
20181108_132349.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky