New 18.5" WSM on a pretty good deal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Electric88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
After stalking an 18.5" WSM at the local Home Depot for the past month watching it on clearance, I finally pulled the trigger. It was marked down to $231, then reduced further to $180 due to lack of cover and the fact it was a floor model. All in all I'm looking forward to getting it setup for it's first smoke (Have only been using an MES30 until now). It was a little dinged up, as some of the pictures show. Since it was sitting outside (in Ohio) it also accumulated some ice and a little rust on the grate the charcoal rack sits on. A little dinged and rust on the top of the body:
thumbnail_IMG_3282.jpg

ice sitting in the pan that I assume is for ash collection. This is kinda beat to hell, not sure if it will come out and is worth monkeying with or not:
thumbnail_IMG_3283.jpg

And finally, the door is bent quite a bit. I'm sure I can bend it back, and put a gasket on it if needed:
thumbnail_IMG_3284.jpg

All in all I'm still pretty pleased with this deal. May have to get a cover for it (I plan to store it in the garage regardless) and put some wheels on it for ease of transport. I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

Are all the parts there ? Should be a charcoal ring and grate . 2 cooking racks . $180 is a good price , even beat up a little . keep us posted , enjoy .

Are all the parts there ? Should be a charcoal ring and grate . 2 cooking racks . $180 is a good price , even beat up a little . keep us posted , enjoy .

As far as I can tell everything is there. I saw the charcoal ring, two cooking racks, water pan, and a charcoal grate (the charcoal grate is a bit rusted, not terrible). The other floor model they had looked a bit out of round and rusted worse, so I took this one and ran.

Reactions: chopsaw
Get her fired up , but one of the best mods you can do is fasten the charcoal grate to the ring . That way you can lift it up as a unit and shake out the ash / small stuff easily .

Why is it not wearing a seat belt?
I think under 60 lbs needs a car seat .

Reactions: TNJAKE
I think the plan will be to put a second grate down for charcoal, and maybe find a small pan to set inside the silver ash pan so I can just lift it out to empty it. But I will keep in mind fastening the charcoal grate to the ring. I'll have to find a buddy with a welder, bribe them with some que lol.

I tried putting it in my son's carseat but it was too wide.

I have a 14 " , but I just used some ss shelf clips to attach mine . That way if I need to replace something I can .

View attachment 432250
I believe that silver pan belongs on the bottom of a Weber Kettle
I have an 18.5" it doesn't have an ash pan.
Richie

Really? Strange... It was assembled into the bottom of the WSM when I looked at it in the store. I tried pulling it out, but it seemed stuck. I assume it was frozen to it at the time. Maybe I'll hit it with a weed burner this weekend (It's supposed to stay cold) and see what happens. Is it just the bottom of the smoker that collects ash?

Really? Strange... It was assembled into the bottom of the WSM when I looked at it in the store. I tried pulling it out, but it seemed stuck. I assume it was frozen to it at the time. Maybe I'll hit it with a weed burner this weekend (It's supposed to stay cold) and see what happens. Is it just the bottom of the smoker that collects ash?
On mine it is the bottom only.
You need all the room below the grate for the ashes,other wise the ash will choke out the fire.
Richie

Found a pic of it when it was new the silver pan goes under the main body
100_3713.JPG

Richie

Ah ok, that makes sense. Mine is beat up pretty good it looks like, I may not even put it on.

I've never seen a live coal in the ash pan under my 18 WSM., (Nor any ash, for that matter), Might give some piece of mind if your using it on a wooden surface but not needed on any non combustible surface.

Congrats on a good deal. If all of the parts are there, you stole it. Official Weber parts are high.

Last edited:
After stalking an 18.5" WSM at the local Home Depot for the past month watching it on clearance, I finally pulled the trigger. It was marked down to $231, then reduced further to $180 due to lack of cover and the fact it was a floor model. All in all I'm looking forward to getting it setup for it's first smoke (Have only been using an MES30 until now). It was a little dinged up, as some of the pictures show. Since it was sitting outside (in Ohio) it also accumulated some ice and a little rust on the grate the charcoal rack sits on. A little dinged and rust on the top of the body:
View attachment 432232

ice sitting in the pan that I assume is for ash collection. This is kinda beat to hell, not sure if it will come out and is worth monkeying with or not:
View attachment 432233

And finally, the door is bent quite a bit. I'm sure I can bend it back, and put a gasket on it if needed:
View attachment 432234

All in all I'm still pretty pleased with this deal. May have to get a cover for it (I plan to store it in the garage regardless) and put some wheels on it for ease of transport. I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

I have been wanting an 18.5 wsm for some time myself last week I stopped at my Home Depot in State College , Pa and there sat their floor model on sale for $164 I could not leave without it not a mark on it and even came with a cover. I cooked a few times on it and it is great , enjoy yours

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 6
It’s a thin line between “Good things come to those who wait” and “You snooze, you lose”. Nice score.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky