Never been to Chicago, but!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I sure do like their dogs.
IMG-0339.JPG

I lived there briefly in 1982.
Miss the Vienna Dog.

I was going to add a "like", but I spied what appears to be ketchup (catsup) in your condiment dish.

That earned your like!

I'm mustard only for traditional dogs in a bun or when I make bagel dogs.

However a guilty admission. When I make toasty dogs, I use some ketchup mixed with the mustard. Goes back to public school lunch days when all they offered was ketchup.
Toasty dogs are a piece of white bread wrapped around dog and held with tooth picks. Bake in the oven until the bread is toasty, thus the toasty dog label.
Wife calls it my comfort food when I make them for a meal.

I had a Costco hotdog for supper tonight. Not happy the deli mustard dispenser was empty.

Looks absolutely fantastic! You're right though, Ketchup is fine.....for the fries.
Born and raised in Chicago. I go back 1-2 times a year to visit family. First thing we get is 2 loaded dogs. (each) When we get them they have "sport" peppers. I can find them on occasion down here in Florida. It looks like you're using Banana peppers? Might have to try that. As hard as I try I can't seem to get the same flavor! Time for another commute.

My wife does....but she is from California.

I grew up in CA. Mustard and ketchup were standard dog condiments as a kid. Was never shown another way. Then we moved back east, and I quickly learned that ketchup and dogs go together like ketchup and ice cream. Now it's only mustard, onions, and relish for us.

We're back in CA, and I still see people putting ketchup on dogs at ball games, but not as much as I used to. Those ball game dogs are amazing, so's the soft serve ice cream at the ballpark, but I wouldn't put ketchup on either of them.

LIKE Seriously, go there. A must.

I like all hot dogs, cheap, expensive, chili, coney, all of them. I also like them dragged through the garden. I am not a snob but agree with Braz Braz that tomato IS essential. Poppy seed bun not so critical but the celery salt is. I sourced some sport peppers once and was unimpressed and found that sliced jalapeno a fine sub. Bonus points for blue food coloring in the relish. I like to slice the pickle spear in half lengthwise since the dills I get are pretty big. It is also worthwhile to use good dills and avoid the cheap stuff. Never the less, I'd eat them dogs in heartbeat and the fries looks wicked good too! Love the metal dippers. We're dippers...

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Yup---Always Mustard on Hot Dogs!!!
Ketchup or BBQ Sauce on Smoked or Fresh Sausage Sammies, but Always Mustard on Dogs. IMO

As for Chicago---Except for Army Travel, I was never farther West than Pittsburgh.

Bear

Many dogs out there. Lots of good ones. We like Nathan’s dogs the best.They are readily available in most grocery stores. Portillos is a great dog joint with many locations in Chicago metro.

First let me say that your dogs look great 5grill.

Point for sure.

However:
I always put and like ketchup on my hotdogs. I also like a good Michigan or Coney sauce on them. Personally I don't really want to eat a salad on my hotdogs.

Chris

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
Chris, growing in Middle TN it was always loads of ketchup, and a little mustard on Oscar Meyers. I didn't know any better. a few years ago I studied up on Ch-dogs, and I've been hooked ever since.

Dave

LIKE Seriously, go there. A must.

I like all hot dogs, cheap, expensive, chili, coney, all of them. I also like them dragged through the garden. I am not a snob but agree with Braz Braz that tomato IS essential. Poppy seed bun not so critical but the celery salt is. I sourced some sport peppers once and was unimpressed and found that sliced jalapeno a fine sub. Bonus points for blue food coloring in the relish. I like to slice the pickle spear in half lengthwise since the dills I get are pretty big. It is also worthwhile to use good dills and avoid the cheap stuff. Never the less, I'd eat them dogs in heartbeat and the fries looks wicked good too! Love the metal dippers. We're dippers...

Hey check out my recent post!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cincinnati-style-chili-and-cheese-coneys.290190/

john

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky