Cincinnati Style Chili and Cheese Coneys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Really funny that chopsaw decided to make white castle cause I just made Gold Star Chili cheese coneys and a 3 way for dinner last night. I guess great minds think alike. :emoji_laughing:

Here is the making of the cheese coney's.

Start with a fresh soft bun and add a beef hot dog and mustard.
hot dogs with mustard.jpg

Then add some chili.
hot dogs chili.jpg

Then a small bucket of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
hot dogs chili and cheese.jpg

And some (me included) like to put on a bit of Tabasco sauce.
hot dogs chili cheese hot sauce.jpg

So that was the appetizer now on to the main course.

A bowl with spaghetti (I like to add a bit of butter).
Spaghetti.jpg

Then add the chili over the top.
spaghetti and chili.jpg

And add some oyster crackers and a small boatload of cheese and Tabasco sauce
spaghetti chili and cheese.jpg

I did not have oyster crackers so I just crushed up some saltines.

Then comes the food coma!:emoji_astonished:

Good thing I already finished watching golf....

John

Damn that looks good! Nice work! I would die if I ate all that in one sitting lol. Never thought about putting chili on top of spaghetti! Can see that happening in the near future. Points for sure!

Thanks SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan that is what my wife said the first time I made it for us.
She is from northern california and said "Chili goes in a bowl by itself!"

Now she loves it, but it took a couple of meals.

And just so you know I did take a few hours off between the appetizer and main course. :emoji_laughing:

My goodness . That is my kind of meal . Talk about eating til you can't breath . That's it right there . Man that looks good .
Is that Stadium mustard ?

Never thought about putting chili on top of spaghetti!
You're missing out . You have to try that .

I wish, it is just regular yellow mustard.
So you know Stadium mustard ? Great stuff . Had a buddy that went to watch the Cards play in Cincinnati and had the mustard . We used to by it by the case and split it . Getting kind of pricey .
Didn't mean to detour ,,, Those chili dogs are callin me .

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Nothing is better than Cincinnati chilli spaghetti and some cheese coneys. I dont have a gold star close but there is a skyline close to my work. Looks great !

Chili overload.......MANY LIKES. I've had chili and crackers before, but not on pasta. Who knows, might like it. Thanks for opening my mind to that idea.
Don

Nothing is better than Cincinnati chilli spaghetti and some cheese coneys. I dont have a gold star close but there is a skyline close to my work. Looks great !

Thanks sowsage! Try krogers they should have the dry packages and you just add water, tomato paste and ground beef. Nothing better than the smell of fresh cooked chili on sunday with football games....

Chili overload.......MANY LIKES. I've had chili and crackers before, but not on pasta. Who knows, might like it. Thanks for opening my mind to that idea.
Don

Don't forget the shredded sharp cheddar. That is what is called a 3 way. A 4 way you can add chili beans or fresh chopped onions and a 5 way is everything.

Reactions: drdon
Wow! Just wow! That is a great plate there. I have chili dogs all the time.And I know about the Cincinnati chili spaghetti. Just haven't had. That needs to be changed.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Stadium mustard up this way is pretty much a slightly spicy brown mustard. Is it the same down your way?

Wow! Just wow! That is a great plate there. I have chili dogs all the time.And I know about the Cincinnati chili spaghetti. Just haven't had. That needs to be changed.

Steve,

Since you may not have a Kroger's nearby i just googled "Cincinnati style chili recipe" and came up with loads of food sites, but here are two that could work. I am going to try this one as it appears to be the authenticate skyline recipe and since I am out of the dry packets....

https://www.thechunkychef.com/copycat-skyline-cincinnati-chili/

Here is another one that looks more like the gold star recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

John

Reactions: Steve H
Stadium mustard up this way is pretty much a slightly spicy brown mustard. Is it the same down your way?

Close but like the difference between white castle and crystal burgers.

I have to admit though I tend to put spicy brown on everything lately, surprised I didn't yesterday. Use to be a Dijon fan but not so much anymore.

If you like a really hot mustard, you can find "colemans english mustard" in safeway stores. Acquired the taste for it when I was living in England.

John

Thanks for the recipes. Might have to make chili dogs soon. Not sure If I can swing the spaghetti part. Any idea why/when this combination was put together?

Close but like the difference between white castle and crystal burgers.

I have to admit though I tend to put spicy brown on everything lately, surprised I didn't yesterday. Use to be a Dijon fan but not so much anymore.

If you like a really hot mustard, you can find "colemans english mustard" in safeway stores. Acquired the taste for it when I was living in England.

John
I spent 4 years in Germany. And grew quite found of sharp mustard. I will, on occasion, add horseradish to brown mustard to kick up the heat. Haven't seen that brand of mustard around here, no Safeway. But next time I happen upon a Safeway I'll take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Steve H
Steve,

Since you may not have a Kroger's nearby i just googled "Cincinnati style chili recipe" and came up with loads of food sites, but here are two that could work. I am going to try this one as it appears to be the authenticate skyline recipe and since I am out of the dry packets....

https://www.thechunkychef.com/copycat-skyline-cincinnati-chili/

Here is another one that looks more like the gold star recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/206953/authentic-cincinnati-chili/

John

I had to read that twice. Chocolate?!! I have to give this a try!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky