Neighbors Raise Stink Over Hanging Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beer-b-q

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 1, 2007
Would any of you like to try this method of curing meat, I wouldn't...
[h1]Neighbors Raise Stink Over Hanging Meat[/h1][h2]Raw Meat Hung Outside St. Louis Home To Cure In Sun[/h2]
POSTED: 9:23 am CST January 6, 2011

UPDATED: 9:39 am CST January 6, 2011

4a322adb_26385307_240X180.jpg

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. -- Neighbors are raising a stink over a St. Louis family who's hanging raw meat outside their house to cure in the sun.

"It went up Christmas Day," neighbor Dan Wampler said of the duck carcasses and other meat hanging outside the suburban home. "It's out in direct sunlight all day long and the squirrels and animals are getting into the food.

"A woman who lives in the house said it's a way of preparing meat in her native Turkey, and that the meat is being cured, not going bad.

But the process doesn't sit well with St. Louis County officials.

"That certainly is a case of a cultural clash of sorts, and in many parts of the world meat is actually displayed outside for seasoning or even storage," said Faisal Khan with the county health department. "The public health risk this would involve would be stomach upset or possibly even some forms of parasitic diseases that a pet or even a human consuming raw or contaminated meat might contract.

"Neighbors want the meat taken down.

"The neighbor behind me, told me that her dog did throw up bones that appeared to be chicken bones and meat," Wampler said.

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2010 CNN Networks, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Video: http://www.kctv5.com/video/26385312/index.html

LOL---I guess if it's not cured, it's gonna be tough getting it through that danger Zone!!!

Bear

I don't know any tech details other then I work with several Hispanic folks that have talked about this method. Its the way they have always done it in there home town. They said back in the day they would go to the market each day and buy meat for that day, hang it on the back porch, prepare and eat for lunch then again for dinner.

One of them even has talked about hanging a turkey in is garage for several days prior to cooking it.

BTW  Just for the record I have never eaten at his house.

I also heard some time back that the Herford House got in trouble for this practice.

As far as the dog goes, its not to big of a problem so long as the dog eats raw uncooked chicken. Its the cooked bones from pork and chicken that hurts dogs. Now I'm not saying he won't get sick in the living room either ,,,, LOL .

At this time I have no opinion if it should be done or not. LOL there's enough coons around here, meat wouldn't last to long hanging outdoors.

That's the way it is being done in countries with no refridgeration.

I have bought beef in Mexico from "open air" markets. Well I thought it was beef. Shoo away the flies and put her on the BBQ.

I figured if the locals ate, who was I to .........
confused.gif

BTW... good tasting "beef?" and tender to boot. You might call it extreme dry aging. 

On a lighter note...more more more gov't to save us from us.

OK D. stop allready.

That's the way it is being done in countries with no refridgeration.

I have bought beef in Mexico from "open air" markets. Well I thought it was beef. Shoo away the flies and put her on the BBQ.

I figured if the locals ate, who was I to .........
confused.gif

BTW... good tasting "beef?" and tender to boot. You might call it extreme dry aging. 

On a lighter note...more more more gov't to save us from us.

OK D. stop allready.
I think those who live & eat that way all of their lives have built up some kind of internal protection.

It would probably kill most of us who are not used to consuming that much bacteria.

My 2 pennies,

Bear

carne seca is big in tucson...............

49e5f881_IMG_5927.jpg

El Charro is known for a classic Sonoran style dish, carne seca. I have been told its carne seca is one of the best in town, but I have not sampled the other versions to know how they compare. According to El Charro's menu, this type of meat is made with marinated "lean Angus beef in fresh garlic, lime juice, and special seasonings. The beef is then sun dried at El Charro's original El Presidio location. It is then delicately shredded and grilled with fresh green chile, tomato, and onion."

I spent some time at Incirlik Air Base near Adana, Turkey. There are many street vendors that sell stuff I wouldn't feed to a democrat! Most of it is questionable at best. The good places to eat had cold food cold and hot food hot. Like said before, refrigeration and the danger zone are fairly new to the meat-eating world. In this case, the county can be all up in arms about it but as long as they don't feed it to any outside of thier household, it's thier business.

There are some families in this country who eat nothing but homegrown veggies and purely RAW meat. To each thier own I guess.

I know I never had to go back to the base with the "Turkey Trots"..

49e5f881_IMG_5927.jpg

El Charro is known for a classic Sonoran style dish, carne seca. I have been told its carne seca is one of the best in town, but I have not sampled the other versions to know how they compare. According to El Charro's menu, this type of meat is made with marinated "lean Angus beef in fresh garlic, lime juice, and special seasonings. The beef is then sun dried at El Charro's original El Presidio location. It is then delicately shredded and grilled with fresh green chile, tomato, and onion."
I've eaten there and had the carne seca, I just didn't know the details of how it is prepared. It was a tasty treat to me. I think under the right conditions, it''s OK for some folks.

49e5f881_IMG_5927.jpg

I've eaten there and had the carne seca, I just didn't know the details of how it is prepared. It was a tasty treat to me. I think under the right conditions, it''s OK for some folks.
Hey Rich,

After reading many of your posts, I would think any kind of bacteria that would enter your gut would instantly go up in flames.  
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Just sayin'.

Bear

Here is some interesting reading "Curing Meat Using the old ways" I came across earlier today in relation to this:

http://sugarmountainhome.com/livestock/curingmeat.html

The key here is really knowing what one is doing. With the right conditions, familiarity with procedures, sterilization, ETC.  I knew a guy that cured and brined meat in his garage. Some of that stuff was awfully rank was surprised he did not get food poisoning. I'd have a hard time hanging birds in that fashion bare out in the sun. Only when temps are below 38 degrees constantly monitoring the temperature during the entire process. Given the conditions conducive to doing it, and if one knows all the procedures to do so correctly staying clear obvious risks.   

Here is some interesting reading "Curing Meat Using the old ways" I came across earlier today in relation to this:

The key here is really knowing what one is doing. With the right conditions, familiarity with procedures, sterilization, ETC.  I knew a guy that cured and brined meat in his garage. Some of that stuff was awfully rank was surprised he did not get food poisoning. I'd have a hard time hanging birds in that fashion bare out in the sun. Only when temps are below 38 degrees constantly monitoring the temperature during the entire process. Given the conditions conducive to doing it, and if one knows all the procedures to do so correctly staying clear obvious risks.   
3 ounces of Salt Peter (potassium Nitrate)!!!

Fertilizer

Rockets

Bombs

Homeland Security Questioning???

That's all my old smoking book has in it----about 40 years old.

I don't think you can even buy that stuff any more, at least not in any quantity.

Bear

3 ounces of Salt Peter (potassium Nitrate)!!!

Fertilizer

Rockets

Bombs

Homeland Security Questioning???

That's all my old smoking book has in it----about 40 years old.

I don't think you can even buy that stuff any more, at least not in any quantity.

Bear

roflmao.gif

That's sort of what I was thinking reading through that. Rocket fuel! Lol, c'mon smoker boy we got questions for you.

icon_cool.gif

I think that they need to hang the neighbor and see how long it take them to cure or shut up one.

1. It must have been a tall dog to reach those birds.

2.  What was the neighnbor's dog doing in this yard?

3. Who needs nosy neighbors anyway?

I lived in England for a while (many years ago).  They had butchers who routinely kept their meats either hanging or in open air cases. 

We often would have to cross the street to pass them on the other side because of the smell.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky