1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Neighbors Raise Stink Over Hanging Meat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beer-b-q, Jan 7, 2011.

1. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Would any of you like to try this method of curing meat, I wouldn't...
    Video: http://www.kctv5.com/video/26385312/index.html

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

LOL---I guess if it's not cured, it's gonna be tough getting it through that danger Zone!!!

Bear

3. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I don't know any tech details other then I work with several Hispanic folks that have talked about this method. Its the way they have always done it in there home town. They said back in the day they would go to the market each day and buy meat for that day, hang it on the back porch, prepare and eat for lunch then again for dinner.

One of them even has talked about hanging a turkey in is garage for several days prior to cooking it.

BTW  Just for the record I have never eaten at his house.

I also heard some time back that the Herford House got in trouble for this practice.

As far as the dog goes, its not to big of a problem so long as the dog eats raw uncooked chicken. Its the cooked bones from pork and chicken that hurts dogs. Now I'm not saying he won't get sick in the living room either ,,,, LOL .

At this time I have no opinion if it should be done or not. LOL there's enough coons around here, meat wouldn't last to long hanging outdoors.

4. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's the way it is being done in countries with no refridgeration.

I have bought beef in Mexico from "open air" markets. Well I thought it was beef. Shoo away the flies and put her on the BBQ.

I figured if the locals ate, who was I to .........[​IMG]

BTW... good tasting "beef?" and tender to boot. You might call it extreme dry aging. 

On a lighter note...more more more gov't to save us from us.

OK D. stop allready.

5. Bearcarver

I think those who live & eat that way all of their lives have built up some kind of internal protection.

It would probably kill most of us who are not used to consuming that much bacteria.

My 2 pennies,

Bear

6. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have to agree with you totally Bear.

7. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    carne seca is big in tucson...............

[​IMG]

El Charro is known for a classic Sonoran style dish, carne seca. I have been told its carne seca is one of the best in town, but I have not sampled the other versions to know how they compare. According to El Charro's menu, this type of meat is made with marinated "lean Angus beef in fresh garlic, lime juice, and special seasonings. The beef is then sun dried at El Charro's original El Presidio location. It is then delicately shredded and grilled with fresh green chile, tomato, and onion."

8. pit 4 brains

pit 4 brains Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I spent some time at Incirlik Air Base near Adana, Turkey. There are many street vendors that sell stuff I wouldn't feed to a democrat! Most of it is questionable at best. The good places to eat had cold food cold and hot food hot. Like said before, refrigeration and the danger zone are fairly new to the meat-eating world. In this case, the county can be all up in arms about it but as long as they don't feed it to any outside of thier household, it's thier business.

There are some families in this country who eat nothing but homegrown veggies and purely RAW meat. To each thier own I guess.

I know I never had to go back to the base with the "Turkey Trots"..

9. Their Home

Their meat

Nobody's buisness but Theirs

10. richoso1

richoso1 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've eaten there and had the carne seca, I just didn't know the details of how it is prepared. It was a tasty treat to me. I think under the right conditions, it''s OK for some folks.

11. Bearcarver

Hey Rich,

After reading many of your posts, I would think any kind of bacteria that would enter your gut would instantly go up in flames.  [​IMG]

Just sayin'.

Bear

12. Here is some interesting reading "Curing Meat Using the old ways" I came across earlier today in relation to this:

http://sugarmountainhome.com/livestock/curingmeat.html

The key here is really knowing what one is doing. With the right conditions, familiarity with procedures, sterilization, ETC.  I knew a guy that cured and brined meat in his garage. Some of that stuff was awfully rank was surprised he did not get food poisoning. I'd have a hard time hanging birds in that fashion bare out in the sun. Only when temps are below 38 degrees constantly monitoring the temperature during the entire process. Given the conditions conducive to doing it, and if one knows all the procedures to do so correctly staying clear obvious risks.   

13. Bearcarver

3 ounces of Salt Peter (potassium Nitrate)!!!

Fertilizer

Rockets

Bombs

Homeland Security Questioning???

That's all my old smoking book has in it----about 40 years old.

I don't think you can even buy that stuff any more, at least not in any quantity.

Bear

14. [​IMG]

That's sort of what I was thinking reading through that. Rocket fuel! Lol, c'mon smoker boy we got questions for you.

15. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I think that they need to hang the neighbor and see how long it take them to cure or shut up one.

16. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

1. It must have been a tall dog to reach those birds.

2.  What was the neighnbor's dog doing in this yard?

3. Who needs nosy neighbors anyway?

17. Bearcarver

I think it was a Bird Dog.

Bear

18. dale5351

dale5351 Smoking Fanatic

I lived in England for a while (many years ago).  They had butchers who routinely kept their meats either hanging or in open air cases. 

We often would have to cross the street to pass them on the other side because of the smell.

19. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I forgot.  The bird dogs with wings.  LOLOL

20. pignit

pignit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

To each his own. I wouldn't want to eat it. I won't even eat anything with an expired date on it. I certainly wouldn't try to stop them from eating it though. Yuckola!