Needing a meat grinder ?? Kitchener #12 on sale $79...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see this is now at  $99 and still seems like a good price to me. Sent this link to the wife and said "X-Mas please". We'll see how much she loves me??

I also bought the 5lb stuffer from Cabela's two weeks ago as it was on sale for $105 figuring it was good deal. They dropped it down to $80 on blackfriday. Was considering buying another for $80 and just returning the first one. Cabela's is an hour drive each way so I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Any issues I should be concerned about if I do get the Kitchener Grinder????   I wouldn't plan on doing any more that 20-30lbs a time and probably only a few times a year.

Thanks,

-MeatSweats

• Click on the link in post #1 for full info.....
  •  
  •  
  • 1/2 HP 350 Watt 110V motor
  • On/off switch
  • Reversible
  • Includes carbon steel fine, medium and coarse cutting plates, stainless steel knife, 3 sausage stuffing tubes, kubbe attachment, meat pusher and feeding pan
  • Internal parts are all metal for greater durability

Ah. I looked at it in the link.... just skipped over that part apparently. Looks like a nice grinder for $100. Usually you get down to that price range and they have plastic gears. Thanks Dave.

Going to pick up my Kitchener #12 this weekend. It's listed for $99 online and found a $20 coupon online. Need to buy a $1 screw driver to make it over $100.
[h2]Special Offer[/h2]
[h2]$20 Off Any $100 Purchase[/h2]
250406.png
[h2]Keycode: 249806[/h2]
Expires 12/17/16

The Kitchener #12 has metal gears.  I've had one for 5 or 6 years and unless you are running hundreds of pounds at a time on a regular basis, this will be all the grinder most people ever need.  It has handled everything I've thrown at it just as fast as I can feed it.  Mine came with 3/8", 5/16" and 3/16" plates.  I have since bought a 1/8" plate for fine grinding, and meat I want to emulsify (think hot dog consistency).  #12 plates and knives are common and easy to find.

Northern always has a $20 off $100 purchase code, and if the one above expires or is not valid, google "northern tool coupon code" and look at the retail-me-not website for a current code (they run $20 off $100, $10 off $50 and $5 off $25 all the time).

If you don't have a stuffer, you "can" stuff from the grinder, but I would absolutely and highly recommend getting a manual stuffer also.

Last edited:

The Kitchener #12 has metal gears.  I've had one for 5 or 6 years and unless you are running hundreds of pounds at a time on a regular basis, this will be all the grinder most people ever need.  It has handled everything I've thrown at it just as fast as I can feed it.  Mine came with 3/8", 5/16" and 3/16" plates.  I have since bought a 1/8" plate for fine grinding, and meat I want to emulsify (think hot dog consistency).  #12 plates and knives are common and easy to find.

Northern always has a $20 off $100 purchase code, and if the one above expires or is not valid, google "northern tool coupon code" and look at the retail-me-not website for a current code (they run $20 off $100, $10 off $50 and $5 off $25 all the time).

If you don't have a stuffer, you "can" stuff from the grinder, but I would absolutely and highly recommend getting a manual stuffer also.
Thanks for the positive reinforcement that his will be a good purchase. Only one below $200 with metal gears that I could find. I plan on doing 20-30lbs  few times a years so I figured this would be perfect for that.

I was consdering Northern's 5lb stuffer too, but I saw it had plastic gears. I purchased the 5lb a few weeks ago from Cabelas for $100.

Have you had any issues with the 1/8" plate and having meat blow past the meat pusher? I read a few reviews that the pusher was not as wide as the feed tube leaving a small gap and when pushing hard meat will bypass?

Thanks for the positive reinforcement that his will be a good purchase. Only one below $200 with metal gears that I could find. I plan on doing 20-30lbs  few times a years so I figured this would be perfect for that.

I was consdering Northern's 5lb stuffer too, but I saw it had plastic gears. I purchased the 5lb a few weeks ago from Cabelas for $100.

Have you had any issues with the 1/8" plate and having meat blow past the meat pusher? I read a few reviews that the pusher was not as wide as the feed tube leaving a small gap and when pushing hard meat will bypass?
You will love that grinder,I can't feed mine as quick as it grinds.

Here is a cheap add on that will make it even better

you would need the #8 for the kitchener # 12 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home...ion=/catalog/browse/food-grinders/_/N-1101293

Thanks for advice Gents!  I was looking at the cool tek pak from Cabela's, but didn't know if it would fit anything other models?

This will be a nice addition to the wife's slippers I was about to purchase from Cabela's with my points.

Just to be clear......I need to order the #8 cool tek pak and It will fit the #12 Kitchener correct? Even though the manual doesn't say this,  should I be putting the grinder head, feed screw and cutting plate in the freezer along with the cool tek pak?

Thanks for advice Gents!  I was looking at the cool tek pak from Cabela's, but didn't know if it would fit anything other models?

This will be a nice addition to the wife's slippers I was about to purchase from Cabela's with my points.

Just to be clear......I need to order the #8 cool tek pak and It will fit the #12 Kitchener correct? Even though the manual doesn't say this,  should I be putting the grinder head, feed screw and cutting plate in the freezer along with the cool tek pak?
Yes the # 8 

I picked up the #12 when I was at Cabelas it did not fit,I had to take it back the next day.I freeze it and also keep the grinder head lubed in the freezer when I get ready.

Richie

No, the pusher is not a problem with any plate.  The reason is the pusher only gets the meat down the throat of the inlet to the screw of the grinder.  The screw is what takes the meat to the front where the blade and grinder plate are.  The pusher only feeds it to the screw which takes over and actually does the feeding.

Or are you talking about the screw when you say meat pusher?  I've not noticed any problems, but I don't over stuff the feed tube and let the screw and motor do the work.  The screw will actually pull in what it needs once the meat "grabs".  I cut my large cuts of meat into long strips about 1"x1" "square (not precise, just cut into strips that will easily fall through the feed tube on top of the grinder). Usually a long strip can be dangled down the feed tube and the screw will grab it and take over from there.  I only need to use the pusher when I have shorter strip that may twist and snag lightly in the feed tube.

I also do not have one of those freezer jackets for mine.  I usually take the cut long strips of meat and place them on a flat cookie tray and pop them into the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.  Don't want to freeze them just firm them up before grinding.  I also will put the metal parts of the grinder (top tray, grinder screw/plate housing, plate, blade, front nut) in the freezer as well.  Ice cold will work the best when grinding meat.

On double grinds, I again put the first grind of meat into a rimmed cookie tray (mine has about a 1" high rim), then once the tray is full or all the meat is in the tray, take a pizza cutter and roll out 1" wide strips (just make the cut into the sheet of meat on the tray).  Then put the tray back into the freezer to firm up again.  Not frozen solid, but enough that the ground meat strips will hold together and can be dropped into the feed tube just like the whole meat strips were.  If the first grind is firm enough from the freezer, you can usually get away with not using the pusher until the last bits are loaded on the second grind.  Also I only do a double grind on specific recipes and not every time.  Some items call for it as it is what makes the final texture or mouth feel of the product what it is.  Most sausage and hamburger meat can be a single grind.

Oh, and to get all the meat out of the grinder, at the end just put in 2 slices of bread.  It will push the last of the meat out and you just remove any ground bread that comes out of the plate.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky