need to thaw out a whole pork butt, 7 lbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flanntastic

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
need to thaw out a whole pork butt, 7 lbs, i froze one last time, any good advice?  i would hate to throw it on the smoker and it be frozen on the inside

I hope it's not for tonight's dinner!  If it's for smoking later you could unwrap it, rub the outside and re-wrap, and let it thaw and soak in the rub at the same time overnight in the fridge.

Yep, not gonna do it tonight. Just slide it in the fridge and give it a couple of days. Of put it in the sink for a few hours, then back in fridge to finish up.

If you need it sooner, best go buy another, unfrozen one.

Last edited:
You could try the running water method. Should thaw it in a few hours. Just put it in a pot of cold water with a light trickle of cold water coming out of the faucet onto it. Obviously make sure your drain is open.

I am a newbie but agree with putting your rub on it and let it sit overnight in the fridge.  Try to put in on a shelf as some of the crisper drawers if not set right can be downright frosty :)

Might try soaking in a  brine solution instead of just plain water....by Sunday it should be defrosted. Check the handy dandy search bar for brine suggestions....just my 2 centavos

Low and slow also applies to thawing, can't rush a good thing. 
cool.gif

I may be stateing the obvious but keep it frozen until Wed or Thurs.   Depending on how often you and yours open the fridge, pork could get RIPE thawed for 6 or 7 days...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky