1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Need some help specifically for jerky and prague salt

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by Beaunair, May 10, 2019.

1. Beaunair

Beaunair Newbie

I'm not doing any special with it, probably just add pepper. The instructions say 1 tsp per 5 lbs, and someone from a butcher shop said 4 ounces per 5lbs.

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

The normal thing with Cure #1 would be that 1tsp per 5 pounds of meat for curing.

As for the Butcher---I don't know of anything that gets used @ 4 ounces for 5 pounds.

Bear

JC in GB likes this.
  3. Beaunair

Beaunair Newbie

So that would just be a sprinkle on each side of the jerky?

4. Bearcarver

Pretty much so.
    Don't use it all in one place. LOL

Bear

5. Beaunair

Beaunair Newbie

Haha I'll try not too. I have a high mountain pack and it calls for that cure at 1tbs on 1lb. Is prague that much different?

6. Bearcarver

Some cures are mixes, like Morton Tender Quick, which is mostly Salt, and in order to use the same amount of cure as Cure #1, you have to use a TBS of TQ per pound of whole meat.

Bear

7. Beaunair

Beaunair Newbie

Ooooh ok, so there wouldn't be no problem adding a tsp of pepper and mixing that up? Should I add table salt or would that make it too salty?

8. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

For jerky I make up a marinade of one (1) 12oz bottle of Worchstashire sauce, one (1) 12oz bolt of lite soy and cure #1 at 1.1 grams per 1 pound met trimmed. Spices, honey and hot sauce are added/omitted as you like. I can do 10lbs of strips with 24oz of liquid.

9. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Check the Label on ANY package of Cure #1, 4oz is for 100 Pounds of meat...
    Follow the cure package directions or SMF directions. RUN! from " Someone " in the butcher shop that is telling you to use a HIGHLY TOXIC amount of Cure!...JJ

pc farmer likes this.