Need some help specifically for jerky and prague salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beaunair

Original poster
Apr 20, 2019
I'm not doing any special with it, probably just add pepper. The instructions say 1 tsp per 5 lbs, and someone from a butcher shop said 4 ounces per 5lbs.

The normal thing with Cure #1 would be that 1tsp per 5 pounds of meat for curing.

As for the Butcher---I don't know of anything that gets used @ 4 ounces for 5 pounds.

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB
The normal thing with Cure #1 would be that 1tsp per 5 pounds of meat for curing.

As for the Butcher---I don't know of anything that gets used @ 4 ounces for 5 pounds.

Bear
So that would just be a sprinkle on each side of the jerky?

Haha I'll try not too. I have a high mountain pack and it calls for that cure at 1tbs on 1lb. Is prague that much different?

Haha I'll try not too. I have a high mountain pack and it calls for that cure at 1tbs on 1lb. Is prague that much different?

Some cures are mixes, like Morton Tender Quick, which is mostly Salt, and in order to use the same amount of cure as Cure #1, you have to use a TBS of TQ per pound of whole meat.

Bear

Ooooh ok, so there wouldn't be no problem adding a tsp of pepper and mixing that up? Should I add table salt or would that make it too salty?

Check the Label on ANY package of Cure #1, 4oz is for 100 Pounds of meat...
Follow the cure package directions or SMF directions. RUN! from " Someone " in the butcher shop that is telling you to use a HIGHLY TOXIC amount of Cure!...JJ

Reactions: pc farmer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky