Need some advice, quickly if possible

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DrPips

Original poster
May 5, 2018
hi,

I smoked my ribs and brisket today but had a bit of a disaster as it was windy and kept blowing the flame out on the gas bbq. In the end I gave up and put them in the oven. The ribs look good, just about to have them but I don’t have enough time to do anything with the brisket. I’ve wrapped it and put it in a cool box with the intention of turning it into burnt ends. Will this be ok, or should I do something else?

Reactions: Bspeech
hi,

I smoked my ribs and brisket today but had a bit of a disaster as it was windy and kept blowing the flame out on the gas bbq. In the end I gave up and put them in the oven. The ribs look good, just about to have them but I don’t have enough time to do anything with the brisket. I’ve wrapped it and put it in a cool box with the intention of turning it into burnt ends. Will this be ok, or should I do something else?
excellent choice to save the day.. because burnt ends are often twice smoked, that is a very good idea after u get the smoker under control (another day ?) just cool the meat quickly to get out of the temperature "danger zone" fridge is ok or cool in freezer for a couple hours then transfer back to fridge

Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone." Never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours.Jun 28, 2017

You didn't say what temp you were able to achieve on the brisket before you pulled it from the smoker. If you did not reach a safe temp it would be better to finish in the oven than risk bacterial growth in partially cooked meat.

Barry.

Reactions: SonnyE
92 Celsius????

That brisket was almost done.

Your good to chunk it up and make burnt ends. If it’s a flat I’d finish it properly and slice it.

Good luck
Scott

Hi thanks for all the advice. I know it had just got ready but I had to out and didn’t have time to leave it to rest. It’s in the fridge now ready to make burnt ends tomorrow.

It might actually be a reasonable option in future to smoke it for the first few hours on the bbq then finish in the oven. At least temperature control won’t be a problem, although I know it’s cheating!

Hi thanks for all the advice. I know it had just got ready but I had to out and didn’t have time to leave it to rest. It’s in the fridge now ready to make burnt ends tomorrow.

It might actually be a reasonable option in future to smoke it for the first few hours on the bbq then finish in the oven. At least temperature control won’t be a problem, although I know it’s cheating!

There is no cheating....just alternate methods.:rolleyes:

Reactions: bbqbrett
Oh my god! Burnt ends are incredible! Just had my first ever meal of them and I want MORE!

My younger son did just that - he was hosting a "shed-tearing-down-party' and started a full packer brisket at 4 pm, giving it smoke until 9 pm, pulling it at 140° and putting it into a 200° F. oven until 4 pm the next afternoon when it reached 205° F after a big stall, then served it - absolutely delicious! He had to move his smoker away from the shed to tear it down, that's why he couldn't leave it out in the smoker. Worked just fine! By 140° it had gotten almost all the smoke it was going to have anyways and it was just baking it tender and moist!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky