Need help with spareribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

huskyjw

Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Lat time I used the 3-2-1 method and they were delicous but for one teeny, tiny thing.....when I went to slice the ribs the meat was essentially shredding. Did I cook too long? Was it the knife (it was a carving knife with "teeth") I kept the temps anywhere from 225-250 the whole time....oh, and I use a propane GOSM. Thanks in advance for those in the know!!

Welcome to SMF, HuskyJW. Bear in mind that the times in the 3-2-1 Method are suggested times and for a first time run we recommend following those times. As you gain experience in smoking ribs using the 3-2-1 Method you can adjust your cooking times to get the results that you want. Also using a knife with “teeth†will tear the meat rather than slice through it.

Please take a moment and drop in at “Roll Call†and introduce yourself to the other members.

Thanks-

Will do!! I've been a lurker for about 3-4 months now and have found excellent recipes and techniques on here. Being from Oregon I don't have a lot of bbq places to get advice from, so I need to start small with a propane smoker and move my way up. By the way, tried the smoked meatloaf about two weeks ago...delicious! This forum is the best!!

If the meat was too tender try 3-1-1 next time or 3-1.5-1. The time in the the foil is what makes them fall off the bone tender. If the heat is a little high or or the meat is really tender to begin with 2 hours can be too long. Also the amount of liquid added to the foil can over steam or braise them. So if you're adding liquid try cutting back on the amount.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky