Need help with AMNS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
I recently purchased an AMNS. I was very impressed with it but had one problem. I have the 6x6 unit. I loaded it up with apple dust to smoke some chicken in my cheapo gas grill. When I opened it up about an hour into cooking, the whole thing was burning. All the dust, meaning it wasn't continuing on it's nice path. Now, I was cooking around 250 degrees. I know the paper that came with it said for temps over 180 to keep the middle row empty of dust. But my question is this: if I leave the middle row empty, want it just die out when it gets to the middle? Or do I need to light it at both ends? Or just re-light the other side after the first side burns out? Thanks for any help.

-thomas

I had a similar problem the first time I used my 6x8 AMNS. I found that placing the AMNS inside a metal pan provided a sufficient heat shield so that the dust did not burn up too quickly. I also keep the middle row empty and then light one end on each leg. I find that two burning ends provides just the right amount of TBS in my MES 40. I am not sure how 2 lit ends would be in your much smaller gas grill compartment. I guess you can always light just one leg and then light the other leg (if needed) when the first leg burns out. The latter method would still be a lot better than using chips, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Fire is attracted to fire, so you have to 'Shield" the AMNS from the flames and direct heat.  Use a disposable foil pan or a round pie tin, and don't place it directly above the burner.

Your grill may show 250°, but the heat off your burners could be much higher.

When in doubt, you can always email, pm or call me.

Todd

put it away from a heat source the best you can.Make a foil shield and you'll be fine! Like craig said do a search,there's tons of info out there.

Lookin like Todd gave you some great advice- this is his product. Just shield it from direct heat and you are golden

Straight from the master!
Fire is attracted to fire, so you have to 'Shield" the AMNS from the flames and direct heat.  Use a disposable foil pan or a round pie tin, and don't place it directly above the burner.

Your grill may show 250°, but the heat off your burners could be much higher.

When in doubt, you can always email, pm or call me.

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky