Need HELP extending a Butt cook.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aucivil

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 2, 2009
N. Alabama
8# Butts are at 150 and it's now 19 hours until the meal.  My cook was already way ahead of schedule but pushing the meal backl 4 hours is going to hard to deal with.  What would be the best course of action:

1) Buy more butts and start over ($35 wasted dollars and push time)

2) Drop smoker temp back to 180 for at least 6 hours then take smoker up to 225 and finish wrap and put in cooler. 

3) Keep on trucking until the butts hit 200 then drop smoker to 180 until 3 hours before meal and wrap and put in cooler. 

4) Call the crew and tell them I got sick - they need to buy some Q

How long have they been in? Are you 100% sure of the smoker temp and meat IT? How many butts you smoking?...JJ

Last edited:
If your meat is done early then just put it in the cooler and let it chill till you need it. Pull pork reheats well with a little au jui and some apple cider vinegar

A, 150 to 205 is still quite a bit of time to go. When they are done you can figure out if you want to wrap  and put in the cooler or chill and use a finishing sauce w/ a reheat for your meal. Always better to be done too soon then to not have your PP ready  in time .

How long have they been in? Are you 100% sure of the smoker temp and meat IT? How many butts you smoking?...JJ
5.5 hours - 3 butts and yes the temps should be accurate.  Also temp got high during the first 1.5 hours

Last edited:

A, 150 to 205 is still quite a bit of time to go. When they are done you can figure out if you want to wrap  and put in the cooler or chill and use a finishing sauce w/ a reheat for your meal. Always better to be done too soon then to not have your PP ready  in time .
Yeah I'm usually running late with the meat.  Got a very early start this time. :-) 

5.5 hours - 3 butts and yes the temps should be accurate.  Also temp got high during the first 1.5 hours
Let it Ride! It will take many more hours, 12+ and that many Butts in foil, towels and a smallish Cooler will hold 8-10 hours and still be Hot. You are fine...JJ

Last edited:
Have 3 butts in and yes I'm sure of the temps. 
If your meat is done early then just put it in the cooler and let it chill till you need it. Pull pork reheats well with a little au jui and some apple cider vinegar
Was hoping to avoid reheating. 

Let it Ride! It will take many more hours, 12+ and that many Butts in foil, towels and a smallish Cooler will hold 8-10 hours and still be Hot. You are fine...JJ
Thanks for the info.  I'll let'em ride at 225.  Also planning to try your finishing sauce on this batch. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky