Need help - double smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Pratt, Kansas
I'm planning on smoking a large pre-cooked ham for Christmas. Hope to find one in the 18-20 lb range. I've read other threads on rubs and glazes but my question is what kind of time will it take to smoke a ham of this size. I've done smaller ones, but I was hoping some of you have done one in this size range. Need to plan my time to get everything else done.

Thanks

Hello Coacher72!

My thought is to stick a temp probe in like you would on a raw piece of meat and cook to your desired IT - I would say at least 140* but following the suggested temp on the package can't hurt.

The timing is dependent on your temperature...if you go with a high temp like 350* figure on 20 minutes per pound may take a little longer if you smoke at 225* - maybe about a total of 3 hours or so.

Good luck and good smoking!

Bill

My bad I forgot to mention I would try to smoke the ham at 225 degrees. I agree with the use of a probe. I was just wanting to see if anyone had done a ham this big and approx. how long it took. With the number of people coming I wanted to make sure it was done by noon. So they aren't sitting around waiting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky