Need Help Deciding on a Pellet Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tyler Green

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
Hey all, new here. Been using my parents Traeger JR Elite for awhile now. Have smoked a ton of meat the past couple months and love it. Wanna give it back to them and purchase one finally. Have two on my mind.. Camp Chef PG24DLX and the Green Mountain Daniel Boone w/ Wifi. I've done so much research on a ton of them but cant make up my mind. Just tried to purchase the Camp Chef ZG model online at Dicks for $432 total. Order went through then hour later gotta email stating order was canceled cause they became out of stock. So now I'm back to square one.

And now you know why the store is named that....
Basically, I have no reason for my shadow to darken their doorway.
Besides, I have 2 Lowe's, 2 Home Depots, 3 Walmart's, at least 1 BBQ specialty store I can name off the top of my head around me (close).

GMG or Camp Chef?
At one time I was really leaning toward getting a GMG. And was pretty sure it was what I wanted.
But no pellet grill goes down to cold smoking, and that quelled my interest in pellet grills.

I hear more guys here love their Camp Chef grills.
Just remember, all the bells and whistles sound nice, and make you all goo-goo eyed. But the more there are, the more there is to get out of whack as well.
So it's your money, choose well. ;)

Or buy a Treager. Then give it to the folks, and you keep the one you already half wore out. :confused:o_O
;)

Last edited:
I have a Camp Chef PG24DLX, and it performs well. Stellar? No ... Well? Yes. It has the "bells and whistles" as mentioned. The pellet dump is the best of them. It's very, very handy in changing wood types. The ash cup dump seemed like a good idea, but in reality, doesn't do a thing. Most of the ash blows out into the lower level of the cooking chamber, and you still have to clean it out. I get wild temp swings with the low and high smoke settings; and wind and cold weather effects the cook. I got the blanket from Camp Chef and that helped. With all of this said, I'm happy with my Camp Chef.

But, I'm getting ready to upgrade to a Yoder YS640. So there is that....

I have a Camp Chef PG24DLX, and it performs well. Stellar? No ... Well? Yes. It has the "bells and whistles" as mentioned. The pellet dump is the best of them. It's very, very handy in changing wood types. The ash cup dump seemed like a good idea, but in reality, doesn't do a thing. Most of the ash blows out into the lower level of the cooking chamber, and you still have to clean it out. I get wild temp swings with the low and high smoke settings; and wind and cold weather effects the cook. I got the blanket from Camp Chef and that helped. With all of this said, I'm happy with my Camp Chef.

But, I'm getting ready to upgrade to a Yoder YS640. So there is that....

Where you at? ill take that camp chef of your hands

Hey all, new here. Been using my parents Traeger JR Elite for awhile now. Have smoked a ton of meat the past couple months and love it. Wanna give it back to them and purchase one finally. Have two on my mind.. Camp Chef PG24DLX and the Green Mountain Daniel Boone w/ Wifi. I've done so much research on a ton of them but cant make up my mind. Just tried to purchase the Camp Chef ZG model online at Dicks for $432 total. Order went through then hour later gotta email stating order was canceled cause they became out of stock. So now I'm back to square one.

Before you pull the trigger, you should check out the Grill Grills Silverback. It's a little more money than the Camp Chef but it offers great build quality, with an insulated bottom end and fantastic customer service. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles because they believe their controller is superior and doesn't need the added cost.

When you invest more, you usually do get more.
The Yoder Yodelers usually have only good things to say about their grills.

Yoder YS640

Before anyone get a Yoder grill they should check out Pitts & Spitts grills. The make a fantastic product, that I think is superior to the Yoder. There are lots of guy that have sold their Yoder's and gotten the P&S but I have not seen anyone that has sold the P&S and gotten a Yooder.

I am on many forums and I can never remember which ones allow links and which ones forbid them, so I just stopped including links. I'll try and remember that links are allowed here in the future. By the way, both of those grills have an active Facebook group, there's lots of info available there.

Reactions: SonnyE
I am on many forums and I can never remember which ones allow links and which ones forbid them, so I just stopped including links. I'll try and remember that links are allowed here in the future. By the way, both of those grills have an active Facebook group, there's lots of info available there.

You social media butterfly you.
LOL! Got your leg. Pullin it Earl....

Ended up grabbing a Camp Chef DLX today at my local sportsmans warehouse for $499 plus tax. Pretty good deal. This smoker will do for now then one day I'll upgrade to something bad ass $$$.

Ended up grabbing a Camp Chef DLX today at my local sportsmans warehouse for $499 plus tax. Pretty good deal. This smoker will do for now then one day I'll upgrade to something bad ass $$$.

Tyler, You only need to do what you like.
Chances are you will continue to be a Camp Chef fan.
I wanna see how you get along with it and what you do with your Que.
Congratulations! And Enjoy! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky