Need some help deciding which pellet smoker.....please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yellowraregt

Original poster
May 5, 2020
Hello all,

I came here to the experts!! I need help. I am in the market for a new pellet smoker/grill. I can't decide and need some help. I would like wifi on it, but one of the ones I'm including doesn't have it. I did list some features I liked/didn't like, but as I said, I'm torn and not sure the ones I've included are good or excellent!! Please help me decide...

1. Camp Chef Woodwind 24 wifi - pro - can add the sear portion to it; great reviews
2. Rec Tec RT-590 pro-all stainless con-don't like the RTV gasket maker they use to seal it...wouldn't this be toxic?; doens't have ash cleanout from what I've seen
3. Green Mountain Daniel Boone pro-great reviews con-not sure about the cigerette lighter style input plug and then all of the windows...just weird
4. Broil King Pellet Baron 400 pro-warranty is great
5. Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX pro-great sear feature, but this is also a con because how long will this last? con-no wifi

So that's my list. All are right around the same price with the exception of the Oaklahoma Joes. They're the least expensive and the RecTec is the most expensive. I had an electric vertical smoker that I only used a few times because it didn't get hot enough. Mine was one of the early ones and I didn't like it. So I'm pretty new to this! If you call can give me some insight, it would be appreciated...Thanks.

Last edited:
The Rec tec is worth it in the long run. It has unbelievable customer service and warranty. I have the bull and it’s night and day better than the traeger and the GMG Daniel Boone I had before it.

Reactions: sandyut
Hello all,

I came here to the experts!! I need help. I am in the market for a new pellet smoker/grill. I can't decide and need some help. I would like wifi on it, but one of the ones I'm including doesn't have it. I did list some features I liked/didn't like, but as I said, I'm torn and not sure the ones I've included are good or excellent!! Please help me decide...

1. Camp Chef Woodwind 24 wifi - pro - can add the sear portion to it; great reviews
2. Rec Tec RT-590 pro-all stainless con-don't like the RTV gasket maker they use to seal it...wouldn't this be toxic?; doens't have ash cleanout from what I've seen
3. Green Mountain Daniel Boone pro-great reviews con-not sure about the cigerette lighter style input plug and then all of the windows...just weird
5. Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX pro-great sear feature, but this is also a con because how long will this last? con-no wifi

So that's my list. All are right around the same price with the exception of the Oaklahoma Joes. They're the least expensive and the RecTec is the most expensive. I had an electric vertical smoker that I only used a few times because it didn't get hot enough. Mine was one of the early ones and I didn't like it. So I'm pretty new to this! If you call can give me some insight, it would be appreciated...Thanks.
I went with the RT590. Ordered last Wednesday, it was at my door yesterday. Packing and shipping are second to none
Hello all,

Reactions: JimHD
I also got a Rec Tec 590 last Friday. Not able to try it until this weekend. I am a little concerned about the 3 open vents but can't say anything until get a few smokes in. May actually be better? I went with Rec Tec because could not find negative reviews. Was thinking about Camp Chef and after looking at a friends thought I seen rust inside when he showed it to me but after talking to him this last weekend he said was not rust. Just color from grease and cooking.

Hi All I got my 1st pellet smoker last week a Rec tec 590 . I would buy any Rec Tec smoker. The customer Service has really been great. I did one over night cook on it , and it held temps stable all thru the night..With the WiFi app I was able to change temps while still in bed.
Dan IMG_20200428_193552348.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned my Camp Chef Smoke Pro for about a year and a half now and I really love it. So much so that I'm replacing my vertical gas smoker with a Camp Chef XXL too. I think they're every bit as good as a Traeger and a bit less expensive. I paid around $550 including a cover for mine on Amazon and just for peace of mind I added the Square Trade extended warranty for three years at $14 and change.

Last edited:
Look at it from this angle. Which company has less complaints about performance, reliability and customer service? That's what I did and bought a RecTec. Could not be happier! Only you can decide what most fits your needs and budget. Nobody will knock you for what you decide. Pick one, use it and enjoy what it gives you.

Reactions: Buttah Butts
This forum has a bunch of Rec Tec fans. Other forums like Mak and Grilla pellet grills. It's my assessment that you get what you pay for and none of them cook better than the others at this point because they all have PID temp regulation. The one exception being the Oklahoma Joe unit which has a hot spot because of the design of the sear slider. You'd need some kind of additional heat deflector to use the main rack when not searing. Good for grilling, not so good for smoking.

I just ordered the Rec Tec RT700 on tuesday and it shows it shipped today. I did a lot of research before ordering, but the big things that got me were that everyone said the customer service was incredible, and the RT700 has a 6 year warranty. I had a few questions I couldn't find an answer to, so I sent them an e-mail and they replied within 15 minutes. Super fast reply, and all questions answered.

Reactions: sandyut
Thinking about the 590 myself especially for making venison sticks. What’s the lowest temp you can set it at?
My 700 arrives tomorrow, so I haven't checked low temperature first hand, but from what I have seen, when it is set at low the temp runs around 170 degrees.

Reactions: mauidiver
+1 for the 590. Mine has been awesome. I added a door seal, I would recommend adding one before you get it all gunked up. It seals the door and makes it feel sexier since its no longer metal on metal. I would add to any grill actually. I use the .500 wide fireblack on amazon.

What’s the lowest temp you can set it at?
Welcome to SMF! Greatest place on earth.

180 is the lowest setting on the Rec Tec. I use it all the time. You are TX, so if you pull the trigger - you will want to read up on the Minimum auger setting. When it gets warm out it will need to be turned down to maintain 180. its super easy to do on the app!

do it, get one. you will love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky