Need a dry rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
I am going to try my first smoke this weekend. I am going to do 2 slabs of spares in a 36" vertical Smoky Mountain. I need a very simple dry rub, for my first try, that we can make from common items kept in our kitchen. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'll get into special receipes later. How long do you put the rub on before putting the ribs on. I'm going t use the 3-2-1 method. BTW, if I soak them in beer instead, how long do I soak them for? Thanks.

MLS

MLS,
Sign up for the E-course and buy Jeff's rub and sauce recipes. It will make you an instant legend to your friends and family. Very simple, very tasty. Awesome stuff there! Also check out the rubs,sauce threads.

I have only been smoking a few weeks and have some friends who think I have been at it for years, thanks to Jeff's recipes!

Here's a rub that's about as easy as it gets!

Memphis Style Rib Rub
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoons cayenne

optional 1 tablespoon Chilli powder

Well, a easier rub would be 50% salt and 50% pepper. I've seen a couple of recipes with just that rub. Also, I saw a barbecue show on PBS some years ago where the ranch cook only used salt and pepper. Some Q shack operators complicate things by adding cayenne pepper to the mixture and supposedly market the rub mixture. They claim to have won some contests too with said mixture.

And just where is the dark brown sugar
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky