Née Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

angiemack

Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
New Jersey
Hi, this is AngieMac and I live in New Jersey. I a newbe to smoking and recently purchased a Cook Shack 025. I have only cooked BB ribs a few times. They seem to come out on the dry side. Today I tried the 2-1-1 method but I like them naked and I had to use sauce as they seem a little dry and I wish I could make fall off the bone ribs. Any suggestions.

O

welcome1.gif

I'm a 2-2-1 kinda guy. They never fail You can adjust the last hour to suit your bite. You need to tell us what you did and at what temp. Then we can move you in the right direction. Remember the search bar at the top is your friend. Spend some time reading the nakie ribs post.

Happy smoken.

David

Hi AngieMack! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 50,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 1,000,000 posts describing it! Yea that’s right over 1,000,000!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

We have an Articles section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!

Would you do us a favor and add your location to your profile, it helps others to know where you are when they offer advice, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Lots of info here on this site.  Do your homework.  My first two guesses would be that you are using a small rack of BBs or that your temp is running high.  First thing to do with a new smoker is check the thermometer as they are often wrong.

Welcome to the forums!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastimes...grilling, smoking, and curing great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask any time you need help and you'll get plenty!

Red

I didn't weigh the bb ribs but they were on medium side. I used Cookshack rib rub on them a few hours before I smoked them and also left them out. I cooked them for two hours at 225, then in foil 1 hour with some apple juice on them. The last hour they were just smoked plain, no sauce. They were served with sauce. I cooked them the entire time on 225. I used 1 piece of applewood and the ribs did have a nice smokey taste just a little on the dry side. I am use to eating them w/o sauce.

I didn't weigh the bb ribs but they were on medium side. I used Cookshack rib rub on them a few hours before I smoked them and also left them out. I cooked them for two hours at 225, then in foil 1 hour with some apple juice on them. The last hour they were just smoked plain, no sauce. They were served with sauce. I cooked them the entire time on 225. I used 1 piece of applewood and the ribs did have a nice smokey taste just a little on the dry side. I am use to eating them w/o sauce.
Ok I know you said you want naked. I'm going to say go back to 2-2-1

Happy smoken.

David

Lots of info here on this site.  Do your homework.  My first two guesses would be that you are using a small rack of BBs or that your temp is running high.  First thing to do with a new smoker is check the thermometer as they are often wrong.

Thanks, will take your advise. I would imagine that the temp would be accurate with the Cookshack but will check. I think the bbribs were average size in my part of the country, NJ

I must be getting old thought I did 2-1-1 not sure now, this was on Sunday. I have a rack in the freezer and will give it another shot. May have done 2-2-1. Do you use apple juice in the foil.

I must be getting old thought I did 2-1-1 not sure now, this was on Sunday. I have a rack in the freezer and will give it another shot. May have done 2-2-1. Do you use apple juice in the foil.
Folks typically do apple juice but there's no written rule. I've done grape juice, cherry apple and apple....  I'v also done JJ's finishing sauce in the foil ...yes i said finishing sauce. Those were some of the best ribs i've had. 

Here's a good recipe for foil...  sprinkle brown sugar, spray parkay, drip some honey and  add some apple juice on the foil then again on the top of the ribs. 

I have found that the last hour is to long for me... 2-2-.5 (30 minutes) for me... If I go the full hour they are to dry.. and i don't sauce ether... nekkid for me as well...

I have found that the last hour is to long for me... 2-2-.5 (30 minutes) for me... If I go the full hour they are to dry.. and i don't sauce ether... nekkid for me as well...
I don't make the full 1 hour either.  They are dry when I have tried it - unless I am opening the smoker and basting them every ten minutes or so.  Also, I have cut my foil time back to 1.5 to 1.75  hrs as the bones kept falling out.

Hope this helps.  Just find what works for you and go with it.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!

If you didn't read the Terms of Service notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. Rule #11......"Off Site Links are not allowed here at SMF" is something new. There are other simple guidelines for all of us to remember as we interact here.

If you need any help roaming around here in SMF....just give me a shout.  Happy to help any time!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky