My stomach said "tri-tip" I said sure!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by valanze, Apr 3, 2015.

1. First crack at tri-tip today:

Did some reading and a lot agree just let the meat be the flavor. So spoke with the wife and she still wanted one rubbed. Hopefully thy turn out good. Plan on cooking them to 145 IT (wife does not like pink).

2. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Be very careful. Med rare tri tip is tender tri tip. Med well not so much. Also before you get them in the smoker note the grain of the meat. On tri tip it runs a few different directions. I score the top on each point for reference later when slicing.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those should be great! A reverse sear(smoke/sear on super hot grill) works great as well, make sure you cut across the grain or they will be chewy. I shoot for around 110-120 then sear personally. Good luck looking forward to more pics and your thoughts on them:drool

4. timberjet

Oh yes and reverse sear for sure!

5. Crap I forgot to note the grain and I did read that as well. Is the reverse dear important? I had not planned on doing that.

6. Also I soaked the wood overnight. I don't think I will do that anymore as it seems to take longer to get a good smoke going.

7. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You don't have to reverse seat. Honestly I typically don't. A trick for slicing tri tip. It looks like a "v" or boomerang. Slice from the tip of the "v" to the notch. Then turn your knife 90 degrees to that cut and slice. That will get you slicing against the grain on both halves. Somewhere here there is a good slicing tutorial that shows that method.

8. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

No need to soak wood. Use dry wood when smoking.

9. b-one

I prefer the sear try one each way to decide for yourself, I never had just a smoked steak personally. I agree on the final temp with Timber but she can eat the ends as they will be cooked more then the middle keep that in mind.

10. timberjet

Yes it really seals in the juices and carmelizes the outside of the meat. It is really easy. If you have a grill you can just crank it up and take your tips out at 125. Then just sear them for a few on each side. wrap and rest for a half hour. That should give you your med. If you are doing it under the broiler I would pull at 120 and do the same. Remember, the ends will be more done than the middle so if you like med rare you might get a few slices like that in the middle. Then everybody might be happy.

11. b-one

12. Looks great it's still early for me only been on about 40minutes going at 225-230

Unfortunately opened it 2x in that period checking the wood lost smoke briefly. So no lore touching. I have seen it said "if your lookin you ain't cookin.

13. Things going great sitting at 108 IT. Going to start the potatoes soon. My youngest wants baked potatoes so will need to fry some bacon soon for bacon bits. Thinking it should be done around 6 or so.

14. rmmurray

rmmurray Master of the Pit

Good luck valanze! I'm waiting patiently.
    :popcorn

15. 120 IT but they don't feel done. I think I should go to 135 at least.

16. rmmurray

Don't over do them. You are still planing to sear right?

17. I am thinking no but not out of the question. Doesn't seem to be required.

18. Removed at 130 IT and seared.

Wrapping them both now to rest

19. rmmurray

Awesome! Patiently waiting on Qview 😉

20. I am extremely nervous even at 130 IT they seem to wiggy for me I might toss them in th oven.