• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My sausage isn't that juicy

gussygus

Joined Dec 6, 2014
I made some Texas-style sausages today and they aren't that juicy, I read they're supposed to be so juicy that it runs down your arm ... Not mine.

Here's what I did:
60% brisket (point and flat with all the fat)
40% pork shoulder with fat
Simply seasoned: Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, a touch of cayenne

I did a test cook and smoked at 250-275.
1 sausage: 1 hour
1 sausage: 1.5 hours
1 sausage: 2 hours

The juiciest sausage was the 1 hour sausage. The others had a dry and crumbly texture. Smoke rings were thick on all three. The casings textures were good except for the 2 hour sausage, casing was thick and hard.

What am I doing wrong?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
What IT are you taking them too? It sounds like your formula is fine...JJ

Last edited:

timberjet

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 29, 2010
You could try some nonfat dry milk powder and water or beer to your mix. Most of my recipes have that for moisture and binder.

gussygus

Joined Dec 6, 2014
I did two things differently and they turned out great, really juicy, chopping board was all greasy when I sliced them.

Not sure which worked or both, but I:
1. Lowered the temp to 225ish
2. Smoked 1 hour
3. Hung them in a loop (I have a Lang 84, just took out the top rack and used a pole to hang then)

They did seem slightly loose though, like they weren't as tight as they were, I'm thinking a binder would fill in the tiny gaps like you guys mentioned.

dannylang

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2014
those hotdog-and-cocktail smokies are some good looking dogs.

dannylang

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.