My sausage isn't that juicy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gussygus

Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
I made some Texas-style sausages today and they aren't that juicy, I read they're supposed to be so juicy that it runs down your arm ... Not mine.

Here's what I did:
60% brisket (point and flat with all the fat)
40% pork shoulder with fat
Simply seasoned: Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, a touch of cayenne

I did a test cook and smoked at 250-275.
1 sausage: 1 hour
1 sausage: 1.5 hours
1 sausage: 2 hours

The juiciest sausage was the 1 hour sausage. The others had a dry and crumbly texture. Smoke rings were thick on all three. The casings textures were good except for the 2 hour sausage, casing was thick and hard.

What am I doing wrong?

What IT are you taking them too? It sounds like your formula is fine...JJ

Last edited:
I did two things differently and they turned out great, really juicy, chopping board was all greasy when I sliced them.

Not sure which worked or both, but I:
1. Lowered the temp to 225ish
2. Smoked 1 hour
3. Hung them in a loop (I have a Lang 84, just took out the top rack and used a pole to hang then)

They did seem slightly loose though, like they weren't as tight as they were, I'm thinking a binder would fill in the tiny gaps like you guys mentioned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky