My RF Vision

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I completely agree with Len and Gary. If you don't move them now, I have a feeling you are gonna kick yourself over and over until you end up moving them later since you aren't happy with the present location.
On a side note, everything else looks fantastic.

OK, y'all talked me into it. I am going to move the therms to a more pleasing location.

Now to decide where to put them.

Drew some circles on the door to help visualize my options.

Meanwhile, built the fire grate for the firebox out of 1/2" rebar.

Tossed on a piece of leftover expanded metal.

Next I mounted the inside window to the FB door and installed the tadpole gaskets.

Was planning on mounting the window retainer with screws, but at the last minute decided to just tack weld the corners.

Worked out great The white strips on the edges of the window are 1/32" thick high temp gasket material from McMaster-Carr.

This avoids glass to metal contact and gives it room for the different rates of expansion of the glass and metal.

I like that placement better! You know you would have driven yourself crazy/(ier) thinking you should have changed it....
nana2.gif

You guys are right, it would have eventually driven me crazy.

Thanks for the nudge to change it now.
I just know from experience better to do it now instead of later, My so and I usually build a smoker every fall, on the first one we tried different things and looks, and ended up whacking them off, grinding it down and redoing   A lot easier now

But I really like what you did looks great

Gary

Thanks Len!
How is your stainless build coming?

I was lurking on it a while back, but haven't seen anything new in a while.

I'm still making monthly visits to my favorite alloy scrap yard. I have almost everything I need to get a major run, just waiting on a good deal on some angle. I just can't pay retail for stainless, my Jewish friends would disown me and his wife's beef ribs are not to be missed! I've had a couple of things get in line ahead of it lately, I bought an old BMW 650 Dakar motorcycle that needed some love, but it's back together and my diesel needed a heavy rework but all are purring again so time to get off my ass on the smoker. The weather here is getting back below the humid high 90's so it's starting to get to be welding weather again.

More progress over the last few days.

Put in the sacrificial plate in the top of the FB.

Made the skins for the CC door insulation.

Needed holes for the therms, but did not want just cut holes with rough edges.

Searched on-line for rings or bezels to dress it up, but did not find anything suitable.

Sooooo......

Made a tool.

Got a plumbing reducer at the local hardware store.

Used a flap disc to polish it up a bit.

Together with a piece of leftover pipe, it is now a flange press.

Cut hole in skin a half-inch smaller than the final diameter and centered it on the pipe.

Added grease and the tool on the press.

Pressed it in.

The result...

Test fit on the CC door.

Still need to add some stand-offs to screw the skins to the CC door and mount them up with the insulation.

If all goes well, there should be TBS by next weekend.

I do have some bacon grease saved up, but have been reading a few articles on seasoning cast iron.

Based on what I have read, I am thinking of trying flaxseed oil.

Oh hell yeah!

I also cure and smoke my own bacon.

I would recommend it for anyone who hasn't tried it.

So much better than store bought and really easy to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky