My plants have no tomatoes... Here's why...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used to live on the other side of Dave meaning Seattle region.
Yes, even Seattle area is just as dry in the summer as Eastern Washington, too. My water bill was not kind to the wallet.

I'm in Minnesota now and this is the driest season in the 20 years. I need to take a load from the water truck into town.
Luckily the blow flies, ants, and wasps are doing the pollinating

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
I have used my wife’s makeup brushes to spread the pollen. She isn’t very happy with me when I do that. Down here in SE Texas the tomatoes have burned up by July 1st. I am cultivating winter tomatoes now.

Not sure if it helps but down here in Aust, I have rollable shade cloth over the tomatoes , saves them getting sunburnt.
Hot weather knocks them for a six I have found and they just Halt

I'm not sure why you guys are having problems with heat, like I said we average 90* in the summer with many days as hot as 110*- 112* and I've given away at least 10 gallons of Tom's so far with another 12 to 15 gallons still on the vines. I water every two day with soaker hoses 30 minutes each time. My plants get sun from the time it comes up until the time it goes down.

I have the temp spikes and the humidity ups and downs. But the drought conditions are killing me and my water bill.
Tomatoes (Roma and grape) have set fruit. Grape will not ripen and the Roma are thick with blossom end rot (BER). I have dosed them many times with gypsum (calcium) and finally slowed the BER
More water!

I have used my wife’s makeup brushes to spread the pollen. She isn’t very happy with me when I do that. Down here in SE Texas the tomatoes have burned up by July 1st. I am cultivating winter tomatoes now.
Don't liberally use insecticide in the garden setting. What we call nuisance insects are very valuable pollinators.

I'm not sure why you guys are having problems with heat, like I said we average 90* in the summer with many days as hot as 110*- 112* and I've given away at least 10 gallons of Tom's so far with another 12 to 15 gallons still on the vines. I water every two day with soaker hoses 30 minutes each time. My plants get sun from the time it comes up until the time it goes down.

Night time temps are more important than daytime. I believe if night time is over 70, they won't set fruit. You must have cool nights.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky