My pastrami from corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
Yes, a thousand corned beef and pastrami threads this week, well, here's mine ;)
I initially was going turn two corned beef flats into pastrami but then added two points as well, when they're only $1.88/lb (additional $1 off/lb vs. sticker price) I really couldn't go wrong. Flats were 3.3 and 3.6 lbs, points were 3lb each.

So, on with it. I mostly followed the "Close to Katz' Pastrami" over on amazingribs.com The flats were well rinsed then soaked ~12hrs in a big pot of water, rinsed again, dried well then well seasoned, placed on cooling racks on a sheet pan and left uncovered in the reefer for ~36hrs. The points (I bought them later) were treated the same but soaked ~10hrs, then seasoned and vacuum packed for ~12hrs. Before smoking I patted dry the points and hit them with a little more black pepper then hit everything with a touch of kosher salt.

Seasoning: I needed about 1.5X the amount below for my 4 cuts. Note: I left out the sugar from the recipe I was sorta following
4TBSP coarse black pepper
2TBSP ground coriander
1TBSP regular paprika
2tsp granulated garlic
2tsp onion power
1tsp dry mustard

Ready to go:

I did the 1st hour at ~200°F to get a little more smoke from the pellet pooper then bumped to 225°F for 3hrs. At that time my ITs were in the 150°F range so I raised the pit to 250°F for the remainder of the cook. 6hrs in the ITs were in the upper 160s. The small point on the top rack finish first at 8hrs, probing nice and tender with an IT ~200°F. The other point -far right- took another hour, and the two flats finished out in 10hrs total.

I had let the cuts all rest in the cooler as I took them off. After about 2hrs I sliced up the first point a bit a made a trip to the pub were my taste testers reside. Everyone was quite impressed and said it was some of the best pastrami they ever had. I thought it was a bit salty buy they all said it was just right. One of my buddies wants to pay me to make him some! (sure, why not!). Anyhow the rest of the crew will get to try some tonight (along with the pickle alum/no alum experiment for those that have seen that thread) then I have a day before St. Paddy's party tomorrow that I'll take some to. The high holy day being Sunday it's looking to be a good weekend, Sláinte!

Oh, a little snackwich ;)

Last edited:
Looks amazing, ive got a couple points i picked up cheap at Aldi's to do the same with. You've got my mouth watering. Great job!

Looks really good, I'd love to do a couple myself - however I'm not sure the weather will be cooperating.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks amazing, ive got a couple points i picked up cheap at Aldi's to do the same with. You've got my mouth watering. Great job!

Thanks for the like, was super easy, good luck!

Looks really good, I'd love to do a couple myself - however I'm not sure the weather will be cooperating.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris, was very worthwhile! Especially considering what you have to pay for pastrami at a deli $$$. Hope you get a chance.

I made some Katz's pastrami the other day, but I did it in an Instant pot. Although, I didn't use the amount of pepper from the recipe (black pepper is too hot for my tastes). It was tender and tasty.

FWIW, I also have one of those Guinness glasses. I bought all my other Guinness glasses in Dublin when I was there. Also, one of my granddaughters (and her family) live in Hamden.

I made some Katz's pastrami the other day, but I did it in an Instant pot. Although, I didn't use the amount of pepper from the recipe (black pepper is too hot for my tastes). It was tender and tasty.

FWIW, I also have one of those Guinness glasses. I bought all my other Guinness glasses in Dublin when I was there. Also, one of my granddaughters (and her family) live in Hamden.

Sorry for the late reply, missed it before. Yeah, the glasses are nice, it's hard to see but it's personalized with my name (and one for my brother next time I see him). The Guinness peeps came to the pub the other week and lazer etched glasses as a promotional gig. Hamden is a nice town, except for the utterly ridiculous property tax rate ;(

Reactions: hb99
No problem! Mine is etched with "St. Paddy's Day". My grandmother was born in Kilkenny. We spent week in Ireland and a couple of days in Kilkenny back in about 2002.

The reason for using the InstaPot was for tenderness...I just had all of my teeth removed and haven't been able to chew anything. I can't even gun it to death. A simple smash in the top of my mouth, taste and swallow. I made extra potatoes and made (mashed up) hash with eggs for breakfast until it was all gone. I think I'm on to something there for future breakfasts.

I hear you about the taxes. I'm originally from NJ, but live in IL now. I have a 2900sf house on just over 2 acres and pay just over $3200 in taxes. I know it's still a lot, but coming from the east coast it's worth it. My wife wants to move back to her hometown in Missouri. That would cut real estate taxes just about in half.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky