My old MES40 control panel just croaked - and I just called Masterbuilt...they no longer have customer support!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
When you call Masterbuilt, the outgoing message directs you to go to their website. You can't talk to a live person.

On the website you enter your model number and the available parts show up. Unfortunately, my control panel doesn't show up. In fact very few parts show up. I tried the CONTACT US link...we'll see what happens.

I am dissappointed that I can't talk to a person. Even if they had a CHAT feature on their website, that would be better than what they have now.

Buy an Auber plug and play PID controller and do the rewire .
Be a whole new smoker .

I do heavy construction but I don't do electrical at all but would give it a try if there was a YouTube video or soething.

Customer Supprt Response from Masterbuilt

Thank you for contacting Masterbuilt Customer Support.

Case #: XXXXXX has been created for you.

A member of our Masterbuilt Customer Support Team will respond to your case within 5 business days. Our hours of operation are Monday - Friday 8am-5pm EST.
If you have not yet registered your product please do so HERE
If this is a warranty request and you have not already done so, please REPLY to this email and attach any pictures of the following: your proof of purchase, the specific issue you are having and one the inside and outside on your unit.

I second the auber idea! I wouldn't be surprised if masterbuilt has the same problem as alot of businesses... can't find anyone willing to work. I love my auber with my analog mes 30 , didn't have to rewire anything but enough people here to help ya out if ya need it!

Ryan

I do heavy construction but I don't do electrical at all but would give it a try if there was a YouTube video or soething.

Hey, I'm sure we can get you going. chopsaw chopsaw posted the threads that will be most helpful.
The electrical rewire is super simple.
If you can cut the ends off 4 wires and then splice together the ends with a wire nut to make 2 whole wires, then you have all the skills and tools needed for the rewire.

The Auber PID is going to seem expensive and people often think "I can almost buy a new MES for that", HOWEVER no new MES out there will come close to outperforming an MES that is rewired running with this PID controller:

It's like your MES was a Golf Cart. The rewire + Auber PID turns it into a Ferrari.
You cannot come close to buying a smoker that performs so well for the price of an Auber PID and 2 wire nuts.

Be prepared to be able to do sausage, bacon, jerky, etc. with super precision and no fear of melting out the fat or ruining things :)

Let us know if you have any other questions. We have answers :D

The Auber PID is going to seem expensive and people often think "I can almost buy a new MES for that", HOWEVER no new MES out there will come close to outperforming an MES that is rewired running with this PID controller:
That and you can use the controller on other things or on a new electric smoker down the line .

100% agree with all above. Switched to the Auber last year and haven't looked back. Upped my smoking game to a level I never thought I'd ever achieve.

Reactions: chopsaw and tallbm
So in other words I should buy more things to get better use out if my auber? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Get a liquid safe probe and you can start brewing beer or do sous vide with a crock pot or just do controlled crock pot cooks :)

Also with liquid save temp probe, you could also get a wide open electric hot plate burner and rig it all up to do precision candy making hitting and holding those hard crack and soft crack temps as well as fudge temps, etc. with no problem :)

Lots of possibilities :)

Get a liquid safe probe and you can start brewing beer or do sous vide with a crock pot or just do controlled crock pot cooks :)

Also with liquid save temp probe, you could also get a wide open electric hot plate burner and rig it all up to do precision candy making hitting and holding those hard crack and soft crack temps as well as fudge temps, etc. with no problem :)

Lots of possibilities :)
That has chocolate covered peanut butter balls written all over it! Oh my wife is not gonna like me! :emoji_sunglasses: Have to wait for after harvest tho!

Ryan

Reactions: tallbm
That has chocolate covered peanut butter balls written all over it! Oh my wife is not gonna like me! :emoji_sunglasses: Have to wait for after harvest tho!

Ryan

Oh yeah!
I'm sure you could temper chocolate with it though tempering chocolate is a whole other ballgame hahah :)

I made this connector base on tallbm write up and another poster's idea of crimping the COM and the NO terminals together. No cutting and reversible.
IMG_20210918_201622835.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
So I dug around on the Masterbuilt website since I was getting tired of waiting to hear from them and came across this:

All available parts are found by searching above. All non-warranty parts MUST be ordered online. If not listed here, it is not available, and you will need to check other sources such as appliancefactoryparts.com, for their availability.

So I went to appliancefactoryparts.com and typed in the model number...and, FWIW, my model smoker is still being sold by Sams Club TODAY.
Here is what I found on the appliancefactoryparts.com website:

Sorry! This item is no longer available. We can't sell this part or provide any help. We can no longer supply this item. Even if you contact us, we won't be able to help. We can no longer get it from any of our suppliers. The manufacturer no longer sells the part. There are no substitute parts available. We don't know of any other source for the part.
We're really sorry, we can't provide any more assistance.

I tried several other "parts" websites and the control panel is not available at any of them. I have had 2 MES40's over the past 10 years or so and have been pretty happy with them. But the lack of parts for a smoker model that is still being sold today can only mean:

Goodbye Masterbuilt. This relationship is over. We are breaking up.

Last edited:
Might not make you feel any better but I have 2 older lawn mowers that nobody makes blades for them (not even aftermarket), 3 blades each. I now own a brand new Gravely mower.

Ryan

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky