My North FL Event Offering: Who Would Like To Cook It? (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
A couple weeks ago I was bouncing around some ideas with Jerry ( pineywoods pineywoods ) about what I'd offer as my contribution to the North Florida gathering. Decided to have Joe at CPB send a whole 103 sub primal rib section straight to Jerry's house so it'd be there for the event. After thinking about it for a bit I came to the conclusion that it might be fun to offer this up for somebody else to cook. I've been through quite a few of these roasts so it's nothing new to me but it may be something that somebody else has never had the opportunity to cook. Hey....these events are all about fun :emoji_wink: Basically what you'll have to play with is a massive untouched hunk of bone-in prime rib (standing rib roast) that you can break down however you want, prep, and cook. There are a LOT of different ways to break these down... prime rib roasts, steaks (several different versions), ribs, etc....I'll be at Jerry's on Thursday evening for fun, Friday for the start of the event, and Saturday for the main course. If you think you'd like to take this on and are not sure how to break it down, I'll be more than happy to help. We can discuss the different options and go about turning it into whatever cuts you want. Here are a couple pics of one I did not long ago just to give some ideas. The roasts run from 22# up to 30# but the configuration is always the same.
002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

This one I broke down into a few tomahawks, some ribs, and a rib roast. You can use the scraps for chili or a stew if you want.
011.jpg

Here is a full 7-bone rack of the ribs that TNJAKE TNJAKE cooked at the TN event.
024.jpg

Here are a few tomahawks I did from one of the roasts.
010.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

023.jpg

Sooooo....who wants to have some fun and do something they may not have done before? Another option would be to break it down and have different people prep and cook different cuts. I'm open to whatever folks want to do.

Robert

Very kind of you Robert! Can't wait to see what the lucky cook does with it.

Dave

Not only are you generous Robert but you also came up with a great idea. Wish I could be there and help cook that.

Very nice Robert... I'm glad I'll get to see it all come together. I'll be the official taste tester....lol I always bring a cooler full of sausages to eat and for people to take home.

WOW what a contribution!! Looking forward to seeing the results of someone work on it. When I first saw the thread title I though it was NFL not North Fla. Lol. Superbowl day I guess with football on the brain.

Dang Robert, I would love to be there to see it cooked. The rib section I had was the best ever!!
47730CFB-92EA-495A-B49B-3314E5740FFD.jpeg

Al

Last edited:
Reactions: boykjo
That's a lot of pressure your putting on someones shoulders Robert.

WOW! What a contribution!!! Robert-I am still on the fence about attending. I have prior commitments to help build a new skinning shed at the deer camp...gonna have to wait and see how that shakes out first. But trust me when I say I wanna come.

Very kind of you Robert! Can't wait to see what the lucky cook does with it.
Appreciate it Dave. I have a feeling somebody is gonna have a lot of fun with his one. Curious too how the cook decided to break it down.

Robert

Reactions: Flatrate
Not only are you generous Robert but you also came up with a great idea. Wish I could be there and help cook that.
Thank you Jim. I just thought it may be a lot of fun for somebody to get something like this that they may have never seen. the 103 sub primals are very hard to find so not many folks have ever seen one, let alone gotten to cook one. We also wish you could be there. Be great to meet you.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky