My new toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Phil Chart

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Green Bay wi
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG
i finally broke down and bought a amazin pellet smoker to use in my Bradley for cold smoking and now I'll be using it for regular smoking instead of the high priced Bradley pucks. I did a little test with it just to see how it works. I filled up one and a half rows with pellets and away it went. Works perfectly so I figured we'll throw a little cheese in to give it a run. Smoke output was great. Did the cheese fine. Vacuum packed it and will use it in a few weeks to go with my whiskey old fashions. Next weekend my buckboard bacon will be ready to go and I can hardly wait to use the amazing pellet smoker on it

Nice!

Would it be sensible to remove the bradley puck device and build a mailbox mod for the AMNPS?
This way you can go wild with it :)

Perfect Phill!
I ordered my AMNPS today.
My mod works great, so it's time to get a perfect burn on the pellets.
I also made a pail full of small oak curls with my Jointer.
So plenty of fuel here.

My current burn basket is giving me too much smoke as it gets going. Just too big for my use.

I, too, have moved away from my Bradley puck pooper due to the price of the pucks. It's been nice, but not $30-50 for a 120-box nice anymore.

My plan is to use the AMNPS in my mod. But it could be used in the Smoker/Oven as well. Options.

Your test cheese looks great from here.

Phil Chart, very nice job!
I just got my A-Maze-N smoker tray a couple of weeks ago, and just had the chance to try it the other day to smoke my first bacon.
LOL if you want, but! I smoked it in a U-Haul box that I purchased for $11 bucks.
Everything went great, I smoked my bacon 8 hrs one day, let it rest, then 8 hrs the next day, with Apple pellets.
Dam! that bacon came out great and the A-Maze-N pellet tray worked out super great, what an A-Maze-N product.

SonnyE, you will be happy with your A-Maze-N smoker

I'm gonna build a nice wooden smokehouse out back and use the A-Maze-N smoker as my primary smoke

I also made a pail full of small oak curls with my Jointer.

Curls may burst into flame.... That is not good....

Nice!

Would it be sensible to remove the bradley puck device and build a mailbox mod for the AMNPS?
This way you can go wild with it :)
I still need it for when I'm hot smoking to run the heater element. I'm sure I could take it of and do a mail box mod when I'm cold smoking
Maybe some day when I get ambitious.

One thing I have to say about this hobby is; there is new stuff popping up all the time, things never really get old.
I mean, I'm seeing and learning new stuff everyday.

I have always been a BBQ comp guy, now that those days are gone, this stuff opens up a whole new world.

We now return to the Phil Chart Show...
Good lookin' cheese Phil.That's cool the tray works good for ya in the Bradley since those pucks are stupid expensive.

Can I give a shoutout ? :D

They are much smaller than I imagined.. They should work good.... View attachment 354417
Not really dust, and not really chips. Kind of a tweener of sorts. Pretty clean all in all.
I did the daveomak bake on a pile, then let'er rip on my cheeses.
Different taste, for sure. It returns to the pallet later, reminding me of it's taste.
I don't know, maybe the tannin in the oak?

The chunk not much good to me for anything else.
Pallets often have 4x4 stringers of Oak in them. They also have a lot of nails at times. Terrible on blades. So I cut between the naily parts and waste the nails. If they are spiral nails, they are impossible to remove short of burning the wood away.
Not to mention sometimes grit.
But when you have the time, and you have the idle equipment....

I kept asking myself, "Is this worth the time and electricity to do this?"

It will be interesting to me to see how this works in the AMNPS I ordered. I hate waiting. It's been 8 hours since I ordered it. Shouldn't it be here by now? :rolleyes:

SonnyE... Sorry I was referring to daveo as professor, he always seems to have the right answer to problems and questions.

No sweat. I just thought I'd give you my wayward view. LOL!
I have to think outside the box. Because I was never allowed IN the box.
My Cum file is stamped, "Does NOT play well with others." :oops: :p
But with the advent of the Internet, now I can randomly bug lots of people. :eek:

My aim is to offer any help I might. And to try and leave with a smile. :)

Phil the cheese looks wonderful. Nice color - beware you've just opened up a whole new chapter into the world of smoking.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky