My NEW Pellet Smoker I am building.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

firemanjim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Decherd, TN
Well I decided to build me a pellet smoker.  Looked around and got a few ideas.  Bought me a pellet hopper and burner assembly from SmokeDaddy.Com.  Burner and hopper unit looks awesome.  Cooking chamber is 44"tall 20" wide and 26" deep.  It will have 6 cooking racks that are 19" x 24" for a total cooking space of 19sq feet.  Inside metal is 11 gauge and outside skin is 16 gauge.  Frame is 2" x 2" 14 gauge square tubing.  It is insulated with 2" mineral wool high heat insulation.  It will have a Tel-Tru thermometer on the door.  Has three ports for running meat probes into the cook chamber without having them ran in thru door and messing up the door seal.  Has a sloped grease and drippings pan that runs into a 2" channel which then drains to the bottom of the smoker into a stainless steel steam table pan.  Got quite a bit done on it this week.  Still got to build my door and attach it and build by cooking grates.  Then it will be off to the powder coater.  Here is some pictures......

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jcoleman66
That is awesome Jim, I'am gonna follow your progress... Your gonna have a nice smoker for sure ! Thumbs Up
I have a pellet smoker & love it !

Justin

Looks great so far Jim! That thing's gonna be a beast when it's finished! I'll be following your progress! Thumbs Up

Red

Well....Door is built and installed now.  Tel-Tru Thermometer installed in the door.  Tadpole gasket installed on the door.  Pit Probe from the SmokeDaddy Hopper system is installed.  De-Staco latches are installed on the door.  SmokeDaddy Pellet Hopper Assembly is now installed.  Door is swinging on a McMaster Carr Weld On Piano Hinge.  All I like on the cooker is building some 3/4" channel to secure the Pit Probe wires you see above the pellet hopper assembly and putting in some grate tilt stops.  Got to secure those ugly wires in something.  Then she is ready for some powder coating.  While she is away getting pretty I will build the 6 cooking grates.  Coming along nicely.....

That's coming along real nice! Around here we'd say you've got skills! Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing it finished...and seeing how she cooks!

:Looks-Great:

Nice work!

Red

Last edited:
This is gonna be saweet ... my only concern is your drip pan (3rd picture in first post).... If it's as big as the inside of the CC, I'm worried heat will not go up around it... I've seen where people made a full size drip pan out of tin foil for there MES.. only to find out the CC wouldn't come up to temp... hopefully that won't be the case for you ...

I would say FIREMANJIM has skills, that is a great looking smoker, can't wait to see the TBS and what he smokes first   
Looks-Great.gif

Gary

There is a 1 1/2" channel in the back and in the front which allows the smoke to travel up. Works great. Less than 15 degrees difference between the bottom shelf and the top shelf.

I guess you could do the same thing with a old refrigerator. There is a 1 1/2" space at the front and the rear of the drip pan that allows the super heated smoke to flow to the top. After it reaches the top it flows back down the middle to the smoke stack opening which is located between the bottom shelf and 2nd shelf. Has less than a 15 degrees difference between the bottom shelf and the top shelf. I can definitely live with that.

>Has less than a 15 degrees difference

>between the bottom shelf and the top shelf.

That's pretty darn good! Nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky