My home cured dill pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
Seems to be a popular subject but it is that time of year. I make a 5# batch of these every year. The cucumbers come from a local grocery store which sources them from a Hutterite community located about 75 miles north of where I live. The cucumbers are as fresh as if they were picked from your own garden. This recipe makes a non refrigerated pickle they can be left in the
container right on your countertop. I include fresh garlic cloves, fresh habanero chile’s, pickling spice and of course fresh dill. I am very pleased with the way they turn out.

Cal
C7862B15-7094-4BDC-8B86-0FE1F6C2BE01.jpeg

They look good. What vinegar/water ratio are you using to achieve this? Do they stay crispy over time? Are you adding the brine to the cucumbers while it is still hot, freshly boiled? Or are you considering this to be a secret?

They look good. What vinegar/water ratio are you using to achieve this? Do they stay crispy over time? Are you adding the brine to the cucumbers while it is still hot, freshly boiled? Or are you considering this to be a secret?
Hey Steve
No, no secrets here. Most brine recipes I see on the internet, use a 3 part water to 2 part vinegar mix.
At that ratio a batch of pickles will start to mold or create a slime after just a couple of days at room
temp. I use 3 part vinegar to 1 part water for my brine. The salt is increased as well, although I realize now my experiments didn’t go far enough to determine if it was the extra vinegar or the extra salt
or a combination of the two that keep the pickles so fresh. Maybe I’ll look into that next year. I have had these go for up to one year at room temp with no mold or slime issues but they do start to soften after several months. This batch though has been sitting for over a month and are still as crisp as can be.

The brine is added cold to cold cukes.

Cal

Hey Steve
No, no secrets here. Most brine recipes I see on the internet, use a 3 part water to 2 part vinegar mix.
At that ratio a batch of pickles will start to mold or create a slime after just a couple of days at room
temp. I use 3 part vinegar to 1 part water for my brine. The salt is increased as well, although I realize now my experiments didn’t go far enough to determine if it was the extra vinegar or the extra salt
or a combination of the two that keep the pickles so fresh. Maybe I’ll look into that next year. I have had these go for up to one year at room temp with no mold or slime issues but they do start to soften after several months. This batch though has been sitting for over a month and are still as crisp as can be.

The brine is added cold to cold cukes.

Cal
Thanks Cal. I use a 50/50 ratio of water and vinegar. And 1 tbs of salt per pint. And add the brine hot. I also use pickle crisp to maintain the crunch. From what I've read. This should be stable at room temp. Just there are too many variables as to length of time. And room temp. So, I don't recommend to do this for people that use my recipe. Which is why your thread got my interest.

Steve,
Another thing I just ran across on the net is to be sure to remove all of the stem from the cucumbers
because the stem has an enzyme in it that can cause the cucumber to soften, I’ve never heard that before.

Cal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky