My First Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Finally got to do a Tri Tip! Got a nice Angus from Wild Fork Foods, thanks SmokinAl SmokinAl for the recommendation. So here we go.

Rubbed with Jeff's Texas Rub, let it sit in Fridge for 4 hours before going into MES 40 at 225' for 3.5 hours.
IMG_2176.jpg
IT hit 130 then went onto Grill for reverse sear til IT hit 138.
IMG_2178.jpg
Plated shot with Baked tater and sauteed fresh cut green beans.
IMG_2179.jpg
Was very tasty and juicy. Should have pulled off smoker 5 degrees sooner, I'll know for next time. Overall very happy and will be doing again and again.
Thanks for looking in. Happy New Year to all!

Wow Mike---NICE---I thought I smelled it from here. Tri tip is a foreign word for me. I looked them up and price was good where you got them...Yummy. Charlie

Last edited:
Wow Mike---NICE---I thought I smelled it from here. Tri tip is a foreign word for me. I looked them up and price was good where you got them...Yummy. Charlie
Thanks Charlie, it was a good price. The only place around here I've seen them is WalMart, and that's only 1-2 times in 20 years.

Looks great Mike! Not bad for a first Tri-Tip. Out east here, Tri-tip is wicked hard to find.
Thanks Tucker, it's very hard to find here too. Wild Fork was very easy to work with and free shipping too.

Nice job Mike!
We like ours a bit on the rare side too!
But your meal looks delicious!
Al
Thanks Al. I owe it all to you for the WIld Fork Foods suggestion a few weeks ago. Their selections and pricing was very good. Gonna try some more of their stuff soon. Next time it will be a touch more rare. Now that I know what I'm doing.

Nice work mike. Looks delicious. I love tri tip
Thanks Jake. It was, and we now love it too. I had a feeling we were gonna love it, from all I heard on this forum. Now we know, lol. We don't have a lot of veggies with our meals, so when we get to have some that we actually like a lot, like these green beans, it makes the meal so much better.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nice job Mr. Mike!! Tri tip is a great cut of meat. I agree next time pull it a bit earlier but overall a good job, especially for the first run. Cannot wait to see the next one!!

I checked out the site and like what I saw!! There's a very good chance that I'll be placing an order here pretty soon...like within the next couple of hours. Thanks for sharing what Al shared with you.

Robert

Nice job Mr. Mike!! Tri tip is a great cut of meat. I agree next time pull it a bit earlier but overall a good job, especially for the first run. Cannot wait to see the next one!!

I checked out the site and like what I saw!! There's a very good chance that I'll be placing an order here pretty soon...like within the next couple of hours. Thanks for sharing what Al shared with you.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I agree it's a very unique cut. I was very happy with the price and quality of the meat from Wild Fork foods. They have a lot of offerings. Since I can't get Tri Tip around here too easily, I'll be getting more very soon. Thank you for the kind words, have a safe and happy New Year!

Nice looking TT Mike. I was able to score TT around here a few months back, but alas they have disappeared again.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice looking TT Mike. I was able to score TT around here a few months back, but alas they have disappeared again.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. It's rare around here too. Now that I know I can get easily from Wild Fork foods, we can enjoy it often.

It like more rare, but that looks very good as is!...JJ

Nice job Mike! Good looking plate of food, it would sure satisfy me. Thanks for sharing about Wild Fork Foods! And thanks Al for sharing it... I expect they might get quite a few more site visits, especially from those of us that never see TT!

Ryan

It like more rare, but that looks very good as is!...JJ
Thanks JJ. It was a little more rare than the pics show, but next time I'll know better and make it more rare, which is the way we prefer it too. But still delicious and juicy.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky