My First Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice job Mike! Good looking plate of food, it would sure satisfy me. Thanks for sharing about Wild Fork Foods! And thanks Al for sharing it... I expect they might get quite a few more site visits, especially from those of us that never see TT!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, appreciate the kind words. Yes Wild Fork turned out to be a pretty good source so far. Especially for TT, since we cannot get it round here either.

Finally got to do a Tri Tip! Got a nice Angus from Wild Fork Foods, thanks @SmokinAl for the recommendation. So here we go.

Rubbed with Jeff's Texas Rub, let it sit in Fridge for 4 hours before going into MES 40 at 225' for 3.5 hours.
View attachment 477385
IT hit 130 then went onto Grill for reverse sear til IT hit 138.
View attachment 477386
Plated shot with Baked tater and sauteed fresh cut green beans.
View attachment 477387
Was very tasty and juicy. Should have pulled off smoker 5 degrees sooner, I'll know for next time. Overall very happy and will be doing again and again.
Thanks for looking in. Happy New Year to all!

Nice! That's exactly how I do my Tri Tips as well. I do 2 hours at 225° and then get my gas grill rip roarin' hot. Then I sear the Tri Tip for 2-3 minutes each side then let it rest. Great technique.

Reactions: MJB05615
what is Texas style rub? Franklin essentially says salt and pepper. But I am always looking to try new rubs..
It's one of the rubs originated by Jeff Phillips, the main person that started this forum.
Here's a link to purchase either pre made or the recipes. He's running a special now. I purchased the recipes, so I could make them whenever needed. The Texas style I use on Steaks and now Tri Tip. The original i use on all pork. Check it out:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky