My first shot at sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wes w

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 31, 2012
NW North Carolina
This was a learning experience.   I could not have done this without the help of Jeremy (Smoking B).    Thank you!

I learned a little sausage goes a long way!

I started the evening  with 13lbs of pork butt.  

I made some breakfast sausage for my Mother in law and a couple friends to try.  I made Pops sage sausage and added 1tsp of red pepper  to it.  It was perfect!   Not overly spicy and awesome flavor.

I put 2 venison roast in brine for my brother in law to smoke tomorrow.  Rubbed down 2 butts for a friend to smoke tomorrow as well.

Back to the sausage.

I used Shannon127  Kielbasa recipe.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129813/kielbasa-start-to-finish-for-chef-jimmy

Did a test fry, it  is awesome!  

Got them stuffed and in the frig.   Got a busy day tomorrow.   I'll smoke them Sunday.

3lb. of breakfast sausage.

Seasoned and first run.  Taste test was outstanding!   Second run and to the stuffer

32mm casings soaked and rinsed several times.   Didn't realize untangling casing could be so much fun!   :-)

Ok, so this is my first shot at stuffing sausage.   For what I was doing,  I'm pretty sure the tube I used was to small.  I used the middle sized one.   I had a little trouble getting the casing open.   Finally figured it out while my loving wife  took pictures and  made crude jokes while I was trying to get the casing open.

Ready to go, finally

Finished product.   Into the frig.  I'm tired.   Was hoping to smoke them tomorrow.  It'll have to wait till Sunday.

These better be good!   I got a "butt" load of them... :-) 

Couple questions.   If I have rinsed  unused casing left, can I put them back in the pack with the salt?

After doing my best to get them clean, how do you get the holes in the grinding plate  clean?    I still got them soaking.

Thanks everyone for there help and this site for keeping me up way past bedtime.  :-)

Smoking pictures to come. 

Thanks for looking

Wes

Last edited:
Yes u can put ur casing back in salt might want to add a little more uniodized salt!

Second wash ur grinder plate right away with cold water this will blow all the meat out of it  then in to detergent and bleach !

Nice looking sausages................
icon14.gif

A tooth brush will do an ok job but if you want to clean it real good a laboratory tube brush will do a great job. I order them from mcmaster carr

Wes .....those look amazing! Good job! Let us know how that taste! Cant wait for my 1st batch!

Yes u can put ur casing back in salt might want to add a little more uniodized salt!

Second wash ur grinder plate right away with cold water this will blow all the meat out of it  then in to detergent and bleach !
Thanks doc.   I wasn't sure about the casing.   I repacked them in a ziploc and poured a good helping of salt over them.  
Nice looking sausages................
icon14.gif

A tooth brush will do an ok job but if you want to clean it real good a laboratory tube brush will do a great job. I order them from mcmaster carr

Thanks boykjo.   Awesome site!    Great idea, thanks.  The med. plate was just a pain.  I don't remember having that much trouble cleaning it the first time I used it.
Hey Wes - the sausages look really good! 
thumb1.gif
  Now that you got your first batch under your belt & know what to expect you'll be a lot more comfortable going into your next batch 
smile.gif
  Job well done 
2thumbs.gif
Thanks Jeremy.  
77.gif
  It was fun and tiring at the same time.  A job best started in the morning.   

Thanks to all that  helped!  

Need to get the smoker fired.   Need to get 2 12lb. butts going.   Way to big, but thats what was brought.  Got a couple venison roast to go in as well.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Wes

You did a real nice job...now your hooked....
biggrin.gif
Thank you Roller.  Its easy to get hooked on a awesome product. 

Looking to find a good used frig.  Wife isn't crazy about the smell in the frig.  :-)

Wes .....those look amazing! Good job! Let us know how that taste! Cant wait for my 1st batch!
Thanks Kat,  I did a fry test and it was really good.   I interested to see what the smoke does to them.    It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.   I ran everything myself.  Jeremy advised that I run a little water through the casing.  It made all the difference in the world about getting the casing on and they come off with the sausage with ease.

I love that frig smell...
I think its the combo of all thats in there.  Got venison brining, butts rubbed and the sausage. 

She's not very happy that her stuff gets put out on the counter.  Tea, leftovers etc.....

Everything looks really good and wait till you fry up the Kielbasa after it has been smoked.  When you family eats it they won't mind the fridge smell anymore!

I have made that recipe several times now and it is always a hit.

good job.

Aaron.

Wes great looking sausage! Well done! Hope when I make mine it'll turn out like that!
icon14.gif
Thanks SS.   Its not as hard as you might think.   My biggest problem was getting the casing open.  Had to get rid of the santi gloves to do it.
Everything looks really good and wait till you fry up the Kielbasa after it has been smoked.  When you family eats it they won't mind the fridge smell anymore!

I have made that recipe several times now and it is always a hit.

good job.

Aaron.
Thanks Aaron.   I can't wait to smoke them.   I need to find me some hooks to hang them with.   I've had several friends ask if I was going to do any links.  I'll be passing a lot of them around.

I have a question.

Would a sausage that is made with cure make a two week trip over seas?  If not how could they be shipped?  Our youngest son in the Marines  is being deployed at the end of the month. 

I have a question.

Would a sausage that is made with cure make a two week trip over seas?  If not how could they be shipped?  Our youngest son in the Marines  is being deployed at the end of the month. 
I think Napas ships his boys stuff routinely in the mail.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky