My first shot at sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, the results are in...

First I had to take the racks out of my smoker.   Not a simple project.  They are heavy and very greasy.   So while I had them out, I gave them a good scrubbing.

Next, I had to figure out how I was going to hang them.   Only thing I could come up with was cut some rebar to go across my top shelf.  Not very sanitary, but it works

The last problem is how to keep my temp below 150.   I closed my baffle down to 3" on each side.  

Heat was kept steady with about 6 charcoal and 1-2   1/2x1/2 sticks of wood at a time.  I used hickory.

I started with a full chimney of charcoal.   The links have been in the frig since Friday night.   I left the doors open and let the links dry for about 45 min. 

I didn't use water in the water pan, but did put the pan in because its part of the baffle system.

When I smoke on a normal day I put a big foil pan here.    I have about a 1x10in slot on each side for heat and smoke to come through.  This keep heat the same from top to bottom.   Today  I ended up putting a brick over each side to the point I only had about 3in. opening on each side to keep temps down.

We're finally ready to go!

3 hours later

At this point I was at about 110 IT,   Into the water bath at 170 degrees.   They didn't take as long to finish as I expected.  155IT and into cold water twice.

Finished product

Packed and into the freezer. 

Did a sample run with some krout.    These sausages are really good!

Lesson learned.   A couple lb. goes a looonnngg way.....

It was fun, tiring and good.

Thanks for looking and enjoy.   I think I need another beer......

2thumbs.gif
 Well done! They look delicious!

Thanks Joe.    They turned out really good.   I have to give a big thanks to Smoking B.   He gave proper guidance for  a great product!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky