My first Pastrami ( without pickling salt )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texas bbq

Smoke Blower
Original poster
At Friday a tryed my first Pastrami ( Beef Brisket) without pickling salt.

e699d183_IMGP1628.jpg

17a849d8_IMGP1636.jpg

92804945_IMGP1651.jpg

c15ee066_IMGP1656.jpg

e4ae9ec8_IMGP1662.jpg

deep fried bread , perfect for sandwich

fd07df88_IMGP1665.jpg

two better than one 
rolleyes.gif

The deep fried bread is way cool. If there is no cure in it, then it's not really pastrami is it? It's just marinated brisket isn't it? Or did you cure it somehow? How about sharing what exactly you did.

Looks good. Cool looking break. Care to share  your brine  technique/recipe.
Ok, is without a recipe. Ground garlic flakes (a lot) 5-6 tablespoon,  ground black pepper, ground salt 7-8 tablesspoon , ground onion flakes, 1 tablesspoon Laurels, for me the brine have to be a salty taste. Instruction for a technique. Grilling indirect, around 250 F up to a internal temp. from 180 F. Bevor you put the Beef brisket at the grill, cover with mustard and a lot of frech ground black pepper. I used for my pastrami cherry wood chunks.

The deep fried bread is way cool. If there is no cure in it, then it's not really pastrami is it? It's just marinated brisket isn't it? Or did you cure it somehow? How about sharing what exactly you did.

I know what you mean. It don´t looks like your perfect pastrami, but the taste is maybe the same. I talked with a turkish butcher and he said, cure is just for durability not for the taste, if you use enough normal ground salt.

In the future i will make this with cure and i will see how is the different.

Looks good. Cool looking break. Care to share  your brine  technique/recipe.

How long was it in the cure?

It looks very good nice color and moist,the bread reminds me a south African street food called bunny chow.

Ok, is without a recipe. Ground garlic flakes (a lot) 5-6 tablespoon,  ground black pepper, ground salt 7-8 tablesspoon , ground onion flakes, 1 tablesspoon Laurels, for me the brine have to be a salty taste. Instruction for a technique. Grilling indirect, around 250 F up to a internal temp. from 180 F. Bevor you put the Beef brisket at the grill, cover with mustard and a lot of frech ground black pepper. I used for my pastrami cherry wood chunks.
Okay, enough.  This has to be some moderator funning with us.  It's a lesson to get your recipes well documented and place them on the forum fully and efficiently so that everybody has something to work with if they decide to cook what you're cooking.  Anything less is not worth the reading.  It has to be this.  Right?  Hope I'm right.  Having to do 20 questions is not my idea of learning from each other.

Whoa! Easy there Red...Each person has a different idea of how they want to present their stuff and some give more detail than others...Some need a little coaxing to give recipes and procedures...The meat looks good Tex!...JJ

Last edited:
Being from Germany it looks like there may be a little communication differences. I think it all looks good. Love that bread. Care to tell us a little more about it?

Whoa! Easy there Red...Each person has a different idea of how they want to present their stuff and some give more detail than others...Some need a little coaxing to give recipes and procedures...The meat looks good Tex!...JJ
My apologies.  You are correct.  In any event, I appreciate I was allowed to vent.  I also realize I was out of line, so please forgive my frustration.   My apology is also to Tex. 

LOL..No worries...It happens, I have gone off on guys once or twice myself...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky