My First Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daricksta

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
Beef Ribs.jpg
Beef Ribs With Dry Rub.jpg
Oak-Smoked Beef Ribs.jpg
Oak-Smoked Beef Ribs1.jpg
Over 30 years ago I had my first and only beef ribs. One of my brothers-in-law roasted them in his kitchen oven and they were incredible. He was visiting last week and he was party of a grilled cheeseburger dinner party we threw for my wife's family. I decided to return that decades-old favor, but smoke them instead of roasting. Unfortunately, bro-in-law left town shortly after the dinner party. But I still had the beef ribs so...what to do? Smoke some beef ribs!

Now, I knew looking at these racks in their Cryovac packages that meat was lacking but they matched the total weight of ribs I wanted so I bought them. For the recipe and dry rub I used a brand new Michael Symon cookbook my wife bought me as an early Father's Day present. He says the dry rub uses pastrami seasoning to make the beef taste Old World style. I didn't care for it so I add some seasoning called Truck Dust, which is a proprietary blend spice blend my daughter gave me when she visited a tea and spice shop in Columbus, Ohio. THAT gave me the flavor profile I wanted.

I smoked them over oak pellets in my MES 30 Gen 1 for about 6.5 hours at 225°F, or until the IT reached 203°. What I thought was interesting was that the meat probe in my Maverick ET-733 displayed the temp as 210° while my CDN thermocouple therm (a knockoff of ThermoWorks) showed it as 203°. The seven-degree difference bothers me so I'll recalibrate both of them next time. But in any event, both racks of beef ribs were perfectly cooked. And the flavors were, as I like to say, bloody amazing.

Last edited:
They look fantastic!
I don't do them very often cause most times there is just not enough meat on them, but yours look pretty darn good!
Al

Reactions: daricksta
I can only find them around the holidays. I wish they were more readily available. Your's look great - top notch.

Point for sure.

Chris

They sure look good!

I have never done beef ribs either.This is something I have been contemplating for some time and this thread is the kick in the butt I needed.

Thanks!

They sure look good!

I have never done beef ribs either.This is something I have been contemplating for some time and this thread is the kick in the butt I needed.

Thanks!
normanaj normanaj , gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris, SmokinAl SmokinAl , the recipe called for beef plate ribs, and I just found out today that those are actually beef SHORT ribs--so why didn't Michael Symon say that? I thought that the plate ribs were beef BACK ribs. Anyway, I'll be making this dish again with short ribs and will post photos of that.

Curiousity on ribs like that smoked for as long and low as you did...there may not be much meat but is the bone marrow still there? They look like what I've seen in food shows etc for 'marrow' bones.

Curiousity on ribs like that smoked for as long and low as you did...there may not be much meat but is the bone marrow still there? They look like what I've seen in food shows etc for 'marrow' bones.
I just checked the leftovers. Yep--they're still there! I saw a whole bunch of liquid rendered fat in the foiled over water bowl (I never fill that bowl with water because it just serves to steam the meat) but the bone marrow is intact. Do you have any suggestions for extracting it?

I just checked the leftovers. Yep--they're still there! I saw a whole bunch of liquid rendered fat in the foiled over water bowl (I never fill that bowl with water because it just serves to steam the meat) but the bone marrow is intact. Do you have any suggestions for extracting it?
Well, you can crack the bones or just tap it out. I'm not sure what to expect from it flavour wise. As I understand bone marrow if it's not jello like, isn't good to eat on it's own. That said; it's probably still good flavour wise to use in a soup or some thing. I mean I've seen food shows literally crack the bones with a rock to get it out. Others will just keep tapping the bone against a spoon till it slides out.

I've never had a marrow bone, just marrow and it was like amazing fatty butter when I had it :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky