My first attempt at bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baconpig

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hey guys,

My names corey, im new to the site and live in australia, ive recently attempted curing my own pork belly.

Ive loaded a series of pics to my profile album, but they ended up in the default album, however they are in order, so if anyone cares to take a look and leave me some feedback so i can see if im on the right track, that would be great.

I vacc bagged a dry cure from the charcuterie handbook, and also a wet cure from the book, although slightly modified.

The questions i have are with regard to cure time.

The book tells me for the dry cure to leave for 20 days or so, my question is being vacc bagged is 10 or so long enough, as its kind of a brine cure know that the moisture is drawn out?

The other question also with regard to times, is the wet cure recipe says 10 days when other literature has suggested not enough time or too much time can be detrimental to the finished product.

I have also found literature with similar recipes that refer a cure time relative to the thickness of the meat etc....

If anyone could share some views on the topic it would be great as the latest piece of info regarding thickness without rind recommends i remove from brine today?

Are there any tells i can look for to see if the meat is cured properly, and if i take it out it will finish in a smoker so im assuming theres no real issues?

Thanks guys

Welcome , Corey . Stan , here and proud to make your acquaintence
biggrin.gif

Sounds like you've studied your project well ,
icon14.gif
 . Be sure to send Q-view of the process as well as the finished product.

Also, please stop in at our Roll Call forum and properly introduce yourself  and  add your location , we now have a group of "Aussies" now , and they would be more happy to help .

For now, good luck on the Bacon Project , and (how is it you say???) G-Day Mate !
icon_mrgreen.gif

well guys, ive just finished cooking up some of my wet cured bacon, and its pretty darn delicious!

a tad salty but in a good way, mind you this was a brine cure only for 6 days, so it was expected.

i only soaked in fresh water for 30 minutes then test fried a slice and was happy, however after eating 4-5 slices its a little salty, but perfect with beer :)

I didnt have time to smoke outdoors so slow cooked to 150f in the oven over 3 hours, then refrigerated, sliced and vacc bagged.

Ill post some pics soon, as i have 2 dry cures to smoke and slice etc in a few days.

Thanks for all the info ive been reading guys, great site!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky